Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:59 PM
  • 37 Replies

My stepchildren currently reside in WA. Their father and I live in KS. They currently receive medical coverage (medicaide) through the state of WA. My husband is a disabled Navy Veteran and their biomom does not work. 

My question is this:
If I add the kids to my insurance (we can not use their WA coverage when they are with us in KS), will they lose their coverage through the state of WA? 

**EDIT TO ADD**
Many are asking how long the children are with us. They visit a few times a year, basically all school breaks that are 5+ days off school, and we get them for the entire summer (3+ months consecutively). We were told last summer that their WA benefits do not work in KS and that each state has different rules and not all states have to honor those benefits. They also do not receive dental or vision coverage through the state. My SD has vision issues and we currently cover 100% of the costs to her vision care. The only thing that I would expect from her, should she choose to use the insurance provided through me, is the cost of the co-pay and 50% of the bill total after. I have no problem in paying the additional premium amount,  

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shabby_Chic
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:26 PM

Possibly.  Dpeends on the insurance. 

Are you prepared to allow mom to have access to calling the insurance company on behalf of her children if this is allowed? Would you expect her to go through you for things that need pre-authorization? 

itsmeindisguise
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

She can absolutely have access to whatever she needs for the kids. I don't think I need to give her approval to call for pre-authorization, unless of course, the insurance requires it that way. I just want to make sure the kids are covered for our visits and anything extra their insurance doesn't cover. We want to make sure that it doesn't affect what they do recieve through the state though. 

Quoting Shabby_Chic:

Possibly.  Dpeends on the insurance. 

Are you prepared to allow mom to have access to calling the insurance company on behalf of her children if this is allowed? Would you expect her to go through you for things that need pre-authorization? 

lilmama8408
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:55 PM
Yes if you have private insurance typically they lose state insurance. But I think she'd have to turn in the information. And she'd have to have your social security number for their paperwork to be billed properly
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:24 PM
How long are they with you when they visit?
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Will your coverage work for them in Washington?
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM
They probably would lose their state insurance. I'm also curious to know how often the kids are with you and if the private insurance has coverage in KS. Private insurance would also mean some out of pocket expenses such as copays or deductibles, depending on the plan. My guess is BM would want help w/those expenses since the state insurance probably does not have those expenses.
Mommy091411
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Why can't they use their wa insurance in KS. I am from wa. My kids have wa state insurance and we can use it in other states
fedupmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:53 PM
Some state allow you to have another insurance while on medicaid. Others no. How often are they with you? If it is not that often and they may lose insurance in WA I would not risk it. Medicaid will cover out of state emergencies.
CampHarris
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 2:29 AM
A couple years back (after years of being on state insurance) my ex finally got a job and got medical and dental coverage for the kids. CA kept my insurance on them because I still qualified with my income and am the CP, but his had to be used first (so basically it covered whatever his didn't).
Shabby_Chic
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Quoting itsmeindisguise:

She can absolutely have access to whatever she needs for the kids. I don't think I need to give her approval to call for pre-authorization, unless of course, the insurance requires it that way. I just want to make sure the kids are covered for our visits and anything extra their insurance doesn't cover. We want to make sure that it doesn't affect what they do recieve through the state though. 

I don't mean you'd have to authorize, I meant would you expect her to give you information so that she can get things done.  Kids are covered right now - does she want to change to yours or is this something you think needs to happen and that she'll just need to go along with or does she agree?  Will you expect her to pay any portion of this if it is your decision?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)