Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kissing bk/sk on the lips?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:34 PM
  • 34 Replies
Just saw an article about kissing your bk on the lips is a sexual behavior....
My ss kisses me on the lips, he is 12, has since he was 5 and saw that my bk did that when we say goodbye.. my bk still do, 18, 15, 12.. niece does cheek kiss, nephew also does lips/cheek combo. In no way is it sexual.
It's just what we do.
The article caught my attention because just today I went and had lunch with ss at school, in front of everyone he hugged and kissed me goodbye...
I'm just wondering how many people out there actually think a peck on the lips to your children/step children is sexual?

by on Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anonomomma
by Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:40 PM
I stopped kissing my kids on the lips by age 3/4. After that I taught them to kiss on cheeks. I would be weirded out if DH kissed my girls on the lips or if SS tried to kiss me on the lips.
codysara
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:45 PM
Would you assume it was sexual? Obviously it would be strange if it wasn't the norm.

Quoting anonomomma: I stopped kissing my kids on the lips by age 3/4. After that I taught them to kiss on cheeks. I would be weirded out if DH kissed my girls on the lips or if SS tried to kiss me on the lips.
anonomomma
by Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM
Not necessarily sexual but inappropriate due to the experiences I had as a child.

Quoting codysara: Would you assume it was sexual? Obviously it would be strange if it wasn't the norm.

Quoting anonomomma: I stopped kissing my kids on the lips by age 3/4. After that I taught them to kiss on cheeks. I would be weirded out if DH kissed my girls on the lips or if SS tried to kiss me on the lips.
codysara
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 10:04 PM
But if when you met/ married, this was the norm he did with his kids and your kids chose to... It would just be a norm right?

Quoting anonomomma: Not necessarily sexual but inappropriate due to the experiences I had as a child.

Quoting codysara: Would you assume it was sexual? Obviously it would be strange if it wasn't the norm.

progressandjoy
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I kiss my DDs on the lips, but not SS.

SS went through a time where he rejected all of my physical affection. That's changed somewhat recently though, and now I struggle with showing him enough physical affection.

He does text me multiple kissing emojis throughout the day though.
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Sadly in this day and age everything is sexualized.

I'm nearly 40 and I still kiss my sisters and mother on the lips.

Everybody feels differently though.

bertaboo1
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

i have always kissed my mom and dad on the lips.  still do every time i leave their house.  my dd is a cheek kisser....ss does not kiss....my 2 year old kisses everyone on the lips....kissed the dental hygienist yesterday lol! 

anonomomma
by Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:22 AM
No, the first time I saw him kiss one of my Dd's on the lips I immediately spoke up and said I wasn't comfortable with that and he respected it. Like I said, i don't find it appropriate.

Quoting codysara: But if when you met/ married, this was the norm he did with his kids and your kids chose to... It would just be a norm right?
Quoting anonomomma: Not necessarily sexual but inappropriate due to the experiences I had as a child.
codysara
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:55 AM
It's wonderful that your husband respects your wishes and concerns.

Quoting anonomomma: No, the first time I saw him kiss one of my Dd's on the lips I immediately spoke up and said I wasn't comfortable with that and he respected it. Like I said, i don't find it appropriate.

Quoting codysara: But if when you met/ married, this was the norm he did with his kids and your kids chose to... It would just be a norm right?
codysara
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:58 AM
I grew up the same way, and have taught my kids that it's the norm. My husband is not one to kiss anyone, but his mom is not either...I think it's because she wears lipstick daily. But my fil is a lip kisser too.

Quoting bertaboo1:

i have always kissed my mom and dad on the lips.  still do every time i leave their house.  my dd is a cheek kisser....ss does not kiss....my 2 year old kisses everyone on the lips....kissed the dental hygienist yesterday lol! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)