Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My SD advised school counselor she wants to kill herself

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

It is with sadness that I would like to share that my sd has told school counselor she wants to kill herself. She is only 11-years-old. I am so saddened by this news. I am not sure what I can do other than advise dh that he and bm need to get her counsel. I try to stay out of their parenting decisions as bm as made it clear, I am considered a third-party and don't need my help. So I guess I am posting for prayers and advice. Thank you all in advance

by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 12:06 PM
I agree she definitely needs counseling. Maybe even a hospitalization if she’s really serious. I hope her parents get her the help she needs.
LadyDyanna
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Yes, they are going to get her counseling.

LadyDyanna
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

My dh now is saying they think she is crying out for attention. I stil think they need to get her counsel and not take this lightly.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this
My son had said that before, probably around age 11. We took him to therapy for a while. It wasn't a sincere wish, he's just depressed. We continued with that therapist for a while until he thought my son had gotten all he could. My son now sees a therapist at school once a month.
I feel like he needs more than that honestly, because he is very explosive with his emotions, but we live in a rural area, so we could really only do therapy on weekends, and there aren't too many therapists that do that.

I would encourage your husband to put her in therapy to see what is behind all this. If might be attention seeking (and you'd still want a reason for that) , but it might not. It's been just about a year now since my cousin's girlfriend's little brother hung himself. He was only 13.
peekaboo813
by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM
If I were you I woild stay out of it and not complicate the situation. I agree she needs therapy. If a therapist wants to bring you into the picture they will do so. If this is a cry for attention then she must be lacking attention because she's willing to do anything whether negative or positive to get it.
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 8:49 PM
3 moms liked this
My YDD did some similar stuff at that age. We got her into therapy and it basically came down to we had recently moved and she wasn’t adjusting well and she latched on to some other girls who thought being emo was “cool”. The whole suicide/death thing being cool. We kept her in therapy to help her through the stage and give her better coping skills and being better able to have her true “voice” rather than following along with peer pressure. Suicide should be taken seriously even if “you” think it’s an attention grab there is obviously some sort of under lying reason for it and counseling can help the parents get to the bottom of it and really help work through whatever it is.
Boobear110
by Audra on Feb. 12, 2018 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what everyone else has said. Here is to hoping she gets the help she needs

child_of_fire
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:39 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm with you. Suicide is always a serious threat. People who are saying it as a cry for attention NEED THAT ATTENTION. It must be very painful not to be able to help but you've got to just advise your husband on what you would do if she were yours and back off.
BabyTbaby2
by Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!! At least your SD felt comfortable enough to tell her counselor that.
I wish I had told someone how incredibly depressed and suicidal I was feeling for years instead of keeping it all locked up inside. Or even had someone that I trusted enough to be able to tell that. I attempted suicide 3 times.
My parents put me into Christian counseling because they were Christian. It didn't help me at all; just taught me to smile and pretend to be happy in front of others and how to lie better.
I don't know if you or your DH or BM are religious, but just keep that in mind...my family tried to shove their religion down my throat and made it worse by doing so.

I hope your SD's parents get her the help that she needs!
WickedPissah
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 5:45 AM
What did the school counselor do besides tell DH and bm?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)