Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im getting this machine :) What else do I need?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

Short introduction :D Im "new" to the group HI!! My name is Teascha (yep that's the real name lol). I love sewing and have a business making mostly children's toys. I am VERY new to machine embroidery, actually have never used a machine. So I am here to learn from you ladies :) I have been looking at machines and doing some research on different ones and what they are capable of but the technical things I still don't know.

I have decided based on my budget and needs that I am going to be getting this machine VERY soon :) What I need to know is what else do I need to get going? I know I need thread and stabilizer, but is there other things that I absolutely need? Thanks so much!

The machine: Singer Futura XL400- Quartet Series

Also if anyone has experience with this machine or one similar, any tips would be great lol

by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Margarita907
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Welcome.  Machine embroidery is alot of fun.  As to what you will need....embroidery needles help, and so does bobbin thread.  As for the experience with that machine.... well.  That is the first one I bought..... but I returned it because it didn't hold the programing and didn't do what I needed it to do.  I went with a brother instead.  I think mine might have been defective, who knows.  They sent it back and I got a full refund.  I have really not heard much about  those machines.   I own two heavy duty singers(not commercial) machines and they work great for me,but I am getting a husquvarna Viking soon.

Teascha
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

What programming do you mean that didnt hold? Sorry if that isnt worded right lol Also what didnt it do that you needed? Im asking because there are certain things I would like for it to do for me :) Thank you for the info!

Quoting Margarita907:

Welcome.  Machine embroidery is alot of fun.  As to what you will need....embroidery needles help, and so does bobbin thread.  As for the experience with that machine.... well.  That is the first one I bought..... but I returned it because it didn't hold the programing and didn't do what I needed it to do.  I went with a brother instead.  I think mine might have been defective, who knows.  They sent it back and I got a full refund.  I have really not heard much about  those machines.   I own two heavy duty singers(not commercial) machines and they work great for me,but I am getting a husquvarna Viking soon.

Margarita907
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I would program a name and it just wouldn't save it.  It was really wierd.  I was making designs on uniforms for purses and it just would not cooperate.  To tell you the truth, I think the one I had was defective.  I didn't get classes with it so it may very well have been me, lol.  I know they sent it back.  It was a few years ago, so I was reading up on it just a sec ago and it sounds like they have made  some improvements.  I'm sure it will work out great for you,  mine was just really fickle.  It wasn't very user friendly, but than again, It was the first time I had ever played with an embroidery machine.  I benefited alot from the classes.   

Teascha
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

That makes me feel a bit better that you think it was just defective lol I am buying mine online so clases wont be included but I will check around and see about taking some :) Also lots of Youtube! Thank you!

Quoting Margarita907:

I would program a name and it just wouldn't save it.  It was really wierd.  I was making designs on uniforms for purses and it just would not cooperate.  To tell you the truth, I think the one I had was defective.  I didn't get classes with it so it may very well have been me, lol.  I know they sent it back.  It was a few years ago, so I was reading up on it just a sec ago and it sounds like they have made  some improvements.  I'm sure it will work out great for you,  mine was just really fickle.  It wasn't very user friendly, but than again, It was the first time I had ever played with an embroidery machine.  I benefited alot from the classes.   

yellowroseslh
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I can not help you at all with the machine
you are planning to get.

I have ONLY had dealings with Brother embroidery
machines and (you may have seen the posts) I just
bought another brand new emb machine.

As for what you "need" embroidery thread (different
from regular sewing thread). I started off with some
that I bought from eBay from a shop called "ThreadArt"
it was ok for learning on, but I have recently started
buying a better quality of thread.

A "good" stabilizer is also a big help with getting good
results with the finished product.

Now this is from MY very own personal experience and
is by no means anything about what others may or may
not do.

I do a lot of FSL (Free Standing Lace) and was having
a lot of problems, the dealer where I buy my stuff at
suggested I try using a TOPSTITCH needle for my lace
and metallic threads.

Well not only did I LOVE the results of how my lace
was looking I tried it on my regular embroidery (on
fabric) and it did even better there too. So now I am
only going to be using the topstitch needles for ALL
my embroidery.

I also keep a small pair (embroidery) scissors with
my machine for trimming threads.

But I also recommend you research about machine
embroidery.

Below are a FEW of the websites I have used and
still do even after 5+ year owning an embroidery
machine.

Floriani (stabilizing solutions #1 most visited for me)

Flying Needle (tips and hints for machine embroidery)

ABC Embroidery (useful site for tips and other emb stuff)

These are just 3 of the sites I have used in the past.

Hope this helps you at least a little bit.

Good luck with your new machine.

Louise  aPassion4Sewing

http://www.sewing.org

A stranger is just a friend I have yet to meet.
It is YOU, my friend who I wish to someday come face to face with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)