Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

When you lend money to people.....

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
do you expect them to pay you back right away? Or do you wait until you need the money?
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheri305
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Well me personally,I'm sorta different I suppose.Because if someone borrow something from me,I usually will just chalk it up as a loss or give,and don't even expect it back either way.And it doesnt bother me.But I dont really have people in my life that presently that borrow money or things from me besides my kids,lol.

sweetsurprise13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I don't lend money really but if I do then I it is not alot and I don't expect it back.

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I wouldn't lend money unless it was an emergency, but I'd consider it a loss even if I asked for it to be repaid.

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM

No, if I lend I don't expect to get anything back that's why it's rare that I lend.

yasbobari
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Quoting LOswald0314:

I wouldn't lend money unless it was an emergency, but I'd consider it a loss even if I asked for it to be repaid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stormy6669
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I always loan money thinking I will never see it again. If I do get paid back, it is a great surprise. I don't loan money much though as I don't have much money that is disposable.

Klynn-whitlow
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM

I expect them to pay it back as soon as the possibly can, and hope that its before i would need it. But i had a BAD experience with lending money to people, so i probably wont be doing it again... ever!

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 7:46 AM
My mom pays back,but she gives me intrest I don't expect her to pay me back intrest but she does
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Totally! But I have not had this happen since our first duty station.....and she did pay me back but it was only 60 dollars

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

I've learned that I only loan something that I'm willing to give away(then I don't expect it back).  That way if I don't get it back I don't end up resenting the person.  If I do get it back - that's great!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM

It depends on the amount and the reason.

If I loan a friend $5 because she needs cash, I don't want it back.

If I loan someone $500, we will have a written agreement. And I expect them to hold up their bargain. So far this has worked. When we sold our car to one of DH's soldiers in Germany and he couldn't pay us all up front, we agreed on allotments. He's followed through. I also know that if he didn't, one phone call and he would be paying again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)