Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Back to school shopping.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

What have you done to save money on back to school shopping this year? Have you shopped sales, clearances, thrift stores, etc?
How much do you estimate you spent on back to school shopping this year?

backpack

by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stormy6669
by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM

My son only got a few outfits this year which I found on the clearance racks at kmart and Kohl's. Spent approximately $30 in clothes. Got his shoes on sale at Kohl's for $29.99. Got a great deal on school supplies hitting up the local deals at Staples and the local grocer stores. Spent around $25 for all his supplies and backpack. So I estimate I spent around $85 all together. He is entering the 6th grade.

Stormy6669
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Oh, also my son had some clothes that are still nice and still fit from last year so I didn't see the need to spend on many outfits.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:02 AM
My kids aren't in school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabby1979
by Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Got a free backback for each kid through a group that gives to the military....got cheap supplies from walgreens sales 11 bucks for most of my older daughter list,  still need hand sanitizer for both kids, paper plates for one and a red pen for other. Got their school shoes on sale at payless under 10 bucks each.  Got what few pairs of pants for youngest I needed used or on sale at wal-mart (mostly 2-3 bucks stretch pants, her preference). Also picked up new socks for the girls at wal-mart too. Not planning on buying much else.

yasbobari
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids aren't in school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 7:03 AM

I've been trying to hit sales...but my older 2 want what they want so that's hopeless!

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM

We didn't start yet. 

CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

my sons school offers pre pkgd school supplies...they sell them at the end of the year for the next year- it will be sitting on his desk when we go to meet the teacher before school starts- "they" say it is just as cheap to buy those- plus it helps the school- it is worth it to me because it saves me the headache of doing it- my time/stress level is worth it (even if I do spend more than I needed to)

I only buy a few new things (clothes) each year- cuz it stays hot here for so long- they can still wear their summer clothes

**one thing I do is buy their sneakers at Sears- they have a program- I forget what it is called but when they outgrow their sneakers or if/when they tear up, you can trade them in for another BRAND NEW pair- same size/price...my youngest has two pair of sneakers waiting for when he is older cuz I have done that when the oldest has our grown them.  I need to buy the oldest some new shoes there soon

Charli627
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM
What saved us money was DD dad brought everything for her. And DS dad brought half his supplies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemomof2nok
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I shopped a lot of sales and clearances

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)