• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time Is Money, But Money Can’t Buy Time Back

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

"Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness. I can tell you, as I'm sitting here dying, when you most need it, neither money nor power will give you the feeling you're looking for, no matter how much of them you have." 

That is from Mitch Albom's book Tuesdays With Morrie, one of my all-time favorites. There are so many life lessons in that bestselling novel, it is hard to remember them all...but this is one that I do try to keep in mind: money can't buy time back. It can't buy watching your kid's soccer game you missed, it can't buy a walk with your husband on a chilly fall morning that you didn't do because you had to go to the office, and it can't buy seeing your child conquer 50 homework spelling words because you were out of town on business.  

It is tough. All of us (well, most of us) have to work for a better life for our family. Whether your job is talking care of your kids and home life or you are a lawyer and have to go to the office every day, you are working. But, there is a balance--one that's hard to master--between work, money and life. If you are missing every dance recital or every bedtime, it's not worth it. And you can be in the same room but not really "there" if you are constantly stressing or worried about money, which many stay-at-home moms I know do.

But I know that for a lot of us, we have no choice--we are stuck financially to a certain job or schedule. But when you are able to, take a moment to rethink your priorities. Try to remember that money can't replace time lost, and it can't buy memories never made. This is a good lesson to keep tucked away.  Maybe when you get a tad down because of your financial situation, take a good look around you and remember what you do have, and be present in what you are doing right then and there for the things that really matter.

Do you work too much or know someone who does and is missing out on life?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dannille33
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM
Yes my husband works alot. He works so much over time and never takes a sick day. I wish he didn't have to work so much because it does cause a strain between us ..

I hope one day he won't have to but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM

hhmm, my husband works a lot...I don't think that he is missing out on much though?  I don't feel that he feels he is...he does get Sundays off and one day in the week- we usually do something special on that day- or just stay around here and spend it as a family.  He always takes time for the boys at night.  I never ask him to do anything around here cuz I know how hard he works- I want him to be able to relax when he's home

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Sometimes hubby has to.  Some weeks his job is so crazy and he misses out of everything.  This weekend he can't go to DS' first soccer game because he's on call and there's no cell reception there :(

Thankfully those weeks are far and few between.  He is usually home by 6 to eat dinner and get the kids in bed.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM

My husband used to be like this. He would literally work until he would collapse from being so tired and he really didn't have much to show for it. He also worked so much that myself and the children could never do anything fun outside the house ourselves because he always had the car. He has changed and we have designated family days now, but it is still hard to get him to not want to work all the time.

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Some of the higher-ups at my old job were like that. 

sweetsurprise13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM

my dad is that way and it seems like he works 24/ 7 and has not had a vaca in over 4 years.

Charli627
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM
I used to be this way. I was working full time and overtime sometimes and then turn around and go to school. I barely saw my kids then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM

yeah, a friend of mine and then she complains that she doesn't get to spend enough time with her family.

sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Yep,my Dh.

Caly52964
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:30 AM
I'll be the one to tell u to enjoy every moment you have with your husbands. Try to get them to take time to spend with you and your kids. Its been three years since my husband passed away. He died of a massive heart attack on the job. All I worried about was having the bills paid and we never got to spend time together or with the kids. Yes paying the bills is important but having time together is too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)