Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

‘Extreme Couponing’ Leads to Arrests

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

Extreme couponing is becoming extreme stealing. Bargain hunters across the country are reportedly stealing newspapers for their money-saving coupon inserts. The thieves may have been inspired by the popular show Extreme Couponing on TLC, where p

coupons-1

eople save thousands of dollars by coupon clipping. One woman in Arkansas is being charged for stealing 185 copies of her town's Sunday paper for the coupon inserts. The woman, who is a member of a coupon club, says she didn't think she was breaking the law because the papers were left outside a grocery store for pick-up. Newspaper thefts for coupons have been reported in Alabama, California, Florida, Utah and Texas. Here's how the shtick goes in many cases: a person will insert enough coins for one newspaper at an automatic roadside stand, and once the door is open he or she will steal all of the coupon-filled newspapers in the stack. Some coupons from stolen papers even end up for sale on sold on eBay. It's become such an epidemic, that newspapers are going to extreme measures of their own. They're offering rewards for tips on newspaper thieves and moving Sunday papers from outside stands to inside stores.

by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 3:42 PM

We are having this problem here to,the last 2 months,hardly any coupons have been in the paper.

Joeygoat
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Our local paper is only available for sale INSIDE stores.  They have gotten rid of all the outside coin operated machines.  I am lucky because the local paper donates all of the unused coupon inserts to the base commissary.  If you get there on Monday or Tuesday, you can take as many as you want.  I will look through them and get one or two of the coupons, I don't need the diaper coupons, and then leave them there.  It is an honor system, btw.  BUT, the base does NOT take coupons printed at home. 

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I stopped getting the paper delivered because the coupons were always missing most of the time.  People are out of control!

CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 6:37 PM

someone around here was recently arrested for only putting enough money in the machine for one paper but taking the inserts out of all of them...sad that one has to steal in order to save money

Charli627
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM
Crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dannille33
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:12 AM
That's sooooo crazy!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemomof2nok
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM

most of our papers can only be bought inside stores

usmclife58
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Grr

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I heard about this...it is so irritating when I buy a Sunday Journal and the coupons are missing.  That's the whole point of buying the paper for me.

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Wow!

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

someone around here was recently arrested for only putting enough money in the machine for one paper but taking the inserts out of all of them...sad that one has to steal in order to save money

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement