Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

‘Extreme Couponing’ Leads to Arrests

Posted by   + Show Post

Extreme couponing is becoming extreme stealing. Bargain hunters across the country are reportedly stealing newspapers for their money-saving coupon inserts. The thieves may have been inspired by the popular show Extreme Couponing on TLC, where p

coupons-1

eople save thousands of dollars by coupon clipping. One woman in Arkansas is being charged for stealing 185 copies of her town's Sunday paper for the coupon inserts. The woman, who is a member of a coupon club, says she didn't think she was breaking the law because the papers were left outside a grocery store for pick-up. Newspaper thefts for coupons have been reported in Alabama, California, Florida, Utah and Texas. Here's how the shtick goes in many cases: a person will insert enough coins for one newspaper at an automatic roadside stand, and once the door is open he or she will steal all of the coupon-filled newspapers in the stack. Some coupons from stolen papers even end up for sale on sold on eBay. It's become such an epidemic, that newspapers are going to extreme measures of their own. They're offering rewards for tips on newspaper thieves and moving Sunday papers from outside stands to inside stores.

by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Replies (11-18):
blsdbyangel07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Uh ohh!

sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Quoting owensmom34:

I heard about this...it is so irritating when I buy a Sunday Journal and the coupons are missing.  That's the whole point of buying the paper for me.

sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Quoting owensmom34:

Wow!

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

someone around here was recently arrested for only putting enough money in the machine for one paper but taking the inserts out of all of them...sad that one has to steal in order to save money

aneela
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

DANG!!!!

aneela
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM

i have a sub...and man am i watching on sat to make sure my paper is there

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM

wow what next? Personally my integrity is more valuable than any amount of savings

Stormy6669
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Same here!

Quoting sheri305:

We are having this problem here to,the last 2 months,hardly any coupons have been in the paper.

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM

WoW thats interesting. Its amazing what greed will do to a person. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)