Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAY WHAT > Are Law Schools Churning Out Indentured Servants?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

Article from:  http://www.sodahead.com/

Does a law degree guarantee you a job?

That’s what three New York Law School graduates thought, and they say it was the school itself that encouraged them to believe it. Now they’re suing for $200 million because they say they were lied to.

The graduates allege that New York Law School "consigns the overwhelming majority of [students] to years of indentured servitude, saddling them with tens of thousands of dollars in crushing, non-dischargeable debt that will take literally decades to pay off.”

The graduates maintain the law school misled them about the potential for future employment. While they were reportedly told that 90 to 95 percent of alumni are employed within nine months, they say the school left out an important detail: those figures include any type of job, not necessarily jobs requiring a law degree. The suit alleges that the actual number of recent graduates with jobs requiring a law degree might be lower than 50 percent.

Two of the graduates are now employed as attorneys, while the third has yet to secure a job.

According to Yahoo News, “NYLS students graduate with $119,437 in loans on average, and it is one of the most expensive law schools in the country even though it is rated in the bottom half of U.S. News' rankings.”

Acknowledging the criticism, next year the American Bar Association will require that law schools begin telling prospective students how many graduates are employed with jobs requiring law degrees.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/law-grads-sue-...

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM

"According to Yahoo News, “NYLS students graduate with $119,437 in loans on average, and it is one of the most expensive law schools in the country even though it is rated in the bottom half of U.S. News' rankings.”

WOW!!  that is a whole lot of money for school

suziejax
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I do not think any degree at all guarantees a job, I could be wrong? I know so many people who went to school only to still have a dinky job and not be able to get a job due to the economy in the field they studied for.

suziejax
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM

You got that right. Glad its not me lol

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

"According to Yahoo News, “NYLS students graduate with $119,437 in loans on average, and it is one of the most expensive law schools in the country even though it is rated in the bottom half of U.S. News' rankings.”

WOW!!  that is a whole lot of money for school

deccaf
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM

This is why I am so glad that my work pays for my degree.  Not only do I already have a job in my field, I will graduate with $0 in student loans.

suziejax
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM

That is great girl. Thats awesome on the family piggy bank! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting deccaf:

This is why I am so glad that my work pays for my degree.  Not only do I already have a job in my field, I will graduate with $0 in student loans.

CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Wow! That is awesome

Quoting deccaf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM
I don't think anything in life is guaranteed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Quoting suziejax:

I do not think any degree at all guarantees a job, I could be wrong? I know so many people who went to school only to still have a dinky job and not be able to get a job due to the economy in the field they studied for.

singlemomof2nok
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM

so true

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

I don't think anything in life is guaranteed

usmclife58
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM

They are ridiculous. The judge should laugh them out of court with "welcome to the real world"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)