• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you make a major purchase...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

how do you pay for it? 

like if you were to buy a refrigerator at Best Buy...do you pay cash for it, use a "regular" cc, or a Best Buy no intrest cc

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM

when we bought a new washer and dryer, we got the no intrest cc from Best Buy...I will pay it off two or three months before I "have" to just to make sure it is paid in full before it has to be...I pay more than the min. each month

when we got our new a/c unit a few years ago, we didnt have the cash to pay for it  UGH  had to use a cc, almost killed me

Charli627
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Debit card
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Best Buy card

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM

usually credit.

ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Cash.  The amazing deals you can get with cash are mind blowing!  Every time we've had to buy an appliance or TV, we have gone in with a nice wad of cash (a pre determined amount for a pre-determined product) that was a couple hundred dollars less than the sticker price.  We then begin the haggling process and because we know where to go (HH Gregg is our favorite haggling place), we are able to get the product we want (sometimes one better) for the price we want. 

Part of the trick is doing our homework and knowing how much we SHOULD be paying for a product.  The other part is acting like we aren't "married" to the product - like we don't love it and gush over it.  We use the phrase "that's not good enough" a lot - especially when talking about price.  Finally we pull out our cash, count it in a rather grand manner in front of the associate and say "We have $425 for this TV - Will you take that?"  We have never been turned down.  Once they countered for $40 higher than our offer on a washer, but I kinda laughed a little and said, "You're going to let me walk out this door over $40?"  They didn't.  And if they aren't willing to cave right away, we say "Thank you, but if you can't give me what I want for the price I want, we'll just go over to Electronics Express and see what they can do for us."  Don't ever be afraid to walk out!   We have never actually had to walk out because SOMEONE will stop us on the way out and give us the deal. 

Could we do that without cash?  Maybe some of it, but not as well as we can with cash.  Cash has power.  It creates feelings within people and makes them want it.  It is a very powerful tool if used correctly, which is why we only pay cash.  Even for cars - it's cash. 

Sijai
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Last time I bought a stove, I went between Sears and Best Buy. Both had the same stove on sale, close prices, but Sears delivered for free. I haggled the both of them down. 60$ less at Sears and free delivery, because I paid with cash. Good deal!

Then a few months ago we needed a washer and dryer. This time it was Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's or AAFES military. I took a long time making up my mind, reading all about the units, everywhere I could find them. I settled on the AAFES, I could use my AAFES card, with 7% interest. I got the best deal at AAFES too. Which really surprised me! They are usually the highest in their catalog. I bought the Whirlpool Duet and absolutely love it! Super saver everything. When these units are paid off, then we will be in the market for a refrigerator.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

debit card

sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Quoting Charli627:

Debit card

suziejax
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:35 PM

We do not use credit cards for it . All our cards are gone and payed for. We do the Dave Ramesy system which has taught me to have an emergancy fund for it something breaks etc. BUT so I do not even touch  the ER fund , I have grown since starting the system to try and have most times a  sperate ER fund from my orginal fund for when appliances break or cars etc only.  I can walk into store and buy them brand new. Lets say I buy a new lawn mover for example. Once I buy it I start right away stashing cash away for the next thing that might break. 

It has worked well because since our cars are older and payed for when my car broke down 5 times this summer each and every time I had the money to fix it with out going into debt or having to pay back a credit card. And I still came out cheaper than monthly car payments would of been if we had a newer car.

Paying cash is awesome and really freedom. Matter of fact when I needed new tires I told the lady I no longer own credit cards and only have cash. I went to a mom and pop type tire place. They loved the idea I am trying to become debt free so I asked did she have any discounts I could get or she could apply to my purchase so it wouldnt drain my fund ( which wasnt hudge) She saved me another 75 dollars off what she was going to charge me,, just cause I said I am paying in CASH and asked for her help!!!!!! 

IT NEVER hurts to ask!

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:33 AM

I use my credit card to get the rewards points and then pay it off in full when the bill comes in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)