Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Police say "Due to The Recession " its been a RISE in Dognapping

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

Dognapping on the rise

Dognappings have risen 49 percent in the country in the past year, Lisa Peterson, communications director for the American Kennel Club, told "Good Morning America."

Dogs have been stolen from pet stores, from breeders and from right under their owners' noses at home. Some of the brazen thefts have even been caught on tape.

John Husky and Dina Martinez of Venice, Calif., felt the effects of this growing trend firsthand.

The couple were devastated when their 4-month-old dog, Mr. James Brown, went missing.

"We were really concerned this wasn't going to end well," Husky said.

The pair decided to hire a detective - Annalisa Berns of the California-based pet search company Pet Search and Rescue - to recover their beloved pet. Berns brought in a search dog, which followed Mr. James Brown's scent to the fence, after which the trail vanished.

This story had a happy ending. A reward was offered and the dog was returned, but not every case ends so well.

"Most people, over 80, 90 percent, they can get their pets back on their own if they know what to do, they don't need the search dogs," Berns said. "The biggest prevention tip is a collar and tags, hands down it's the easiest, simplest, most inexpensive thing that you can do and really have that increase your chances of getting your dog back safe."

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Wow a 49% rise is a lot!

mumsy2three
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Interesting. Is it more b/c people can't afford to buy the dogs or to collect reward money?

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM

We have always worried about this having a purebred yorkie. We never let him out with out a leash and supervision not only would we have to worry about his safety but also people kidnapping him for his cuteness AND monetary value either to keep or resell. : (

We also have a purebred Oriental Shorthair cat as expensive as the dog but she hates it outside and the closest she gets to outside is sitting in the screened in window or when she is with us in the car for a trip. People notice how unique she looks immediately all the time when they see her so I think she would be a high risk target too if she was an outdoor cat.

sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Interesting. Is it more b/c people can't afford to buy the dogs or to collect reward money?

Probably both.

sheri305
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Quoting earthangel1967:

We have always worried about this having a purebred yorkie. We never let him out with out a leash and supervision not only would we have to worry about his safety but also people kidnapping him for his cuteness AND monetary value either to keep or resell. : (

We also have a purebred Oriental Shorthair cat as expensive as the dog but she hates it outside and the closest she gets to outside is sitting in the screened in window or when she is with us in the car for a trip. People notice how unique she looks immediately all the time when they see her so I think she would be a high risk target too if she was an outdoor cat.

My Dh worry about our dog to because whenever we walk him,people always ask us to take down their number if we want to sell him or get rid of him 1 day.But I told Dh that I doubt he have anything to worry about because hes a Rotty,and even though hes a big baby,his appearance alone is intimidating,so I doubt anyone will be walking in the yard trying to steal him,.

Charli627
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Interesting

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM

wow...how sad is that?

kymom23
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM

That's really scary!! We have a purebred Beagle, a fullblooded Siamese cat, and a purebred Pitt Bull. I don't think we would have a problem with anyone taking the Pitt. He's a huge baby, but he's also, well, huge! I don't see anyone walking in our yard and trying to take him. The Beagle and my Siamese are indoor animals, and we are always outside with the puppy when he goes out to potty. It's extremely sad that people have to worry about their beloved pets now because of thieves.

singlemomof2nok
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM

That is sad.  We keep our dogs on a leash for the most part, or they go on a tie-out.  But we always keep an eye on them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement