Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Police say "Due to The Recession " its been a RISE in Dognapping

Posted by   + Show Post

Dognapping on the rise

Dognappings have risen 49 percent in the country in the past year, Lisa Peterson, communications director for the American Kennel Club, told "Good Morning America."

Dogs have been stolen from pet stores, from breeders and from right under their owners' noses at home. Some of the brazen thefts have even been caught on tape.

John Husky and Dina Martinez of Venice, Calif., felt the effects of this growing trend firsthand.

The couple were devastated when their 4-month-old dog, Mr. James Brown, went missing.

"We were really concerned this wasn't going to end well," Husky said.

The pair decided to hire a detective - Annalisa Berns of the California-based pet search company Pet Search and Rescue - to recover their beloved pet. Berns brought in a search dog, which followed Mr. James Brown's scent to the fence, after which the trail vanished.

This story had a happy ending. A reward was offered and the dog was returned, but not every case ends so well.

"Most people, over 80, 90 percent, they can get their pets back on their own if they know what to do, they don't need the search dogs," Berns said. "The biggest prevention tip is a collar and tags, hands down it's the easiest, simplest, most inexpensive thing that you can do and really have that increase your chances of getting your dog back safe."

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Replies (11-15):
CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM

we have a yahoo group for our neighborhood...it amazes me when people post that their dog got out of the backyard and doesn't have a collar on...why would one ever take a collar of anyways         UGH  kind of makes me mad

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Quoting singlemomof2nok:

That is sad.  We keep our dogs on a leash for the most part, or they go on a tie-out.  But we always keep an eye on them

We never let our yorkie out without a leash or tie out either and can see him out the window but my 19 yr old daughter who is officially his mommy heard about this issue on the news and told me today that she doesnt even want him let out in the yard even in our tiny safe town and neighborhood at all anymore bc it only takes a second of us looking away and someone could walk by and unhook him and take him in less than one minute. She has a good point. She said he will still get to play outside but only when she or someone is actually outside with him.

Sad its come to that.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 2:54 AM
That's crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liansmommie
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Quoting sheri305:

Quoting mumsy2three:

Interesting. Is it more b/c people can't afford to buy the dogs or to collect reward money?

Probably both.

That's what I would think.

usmclife58
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM

That is so sad!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN