Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with college bound kids

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:22 AM
  • 3 Replies
Have you started talking about being fiscally responsible? They are receiving credit card offers, they will be buying food, etc.

While you're having the don't drink and use a condom speech, have you discussed building good credit and saving money?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CoolMommyofboys
by Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM

mine are still young but that is a great idea!!

I have already started talking to mine about credit cards...my youngest seems to think you can just go to the "money machine"  (atm) and get money out     LOL   I've been telling him you have to put it in there first

I also have told them that as soon as you get your credit card bill from buying the things that you just swiped your card at the store, you have to pay all of it...I'm hoping it all sticks- if I keep taking about it til they're at the age where they can get one, surely it will

mumsy2three
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 5:20 PM

My oldest is 17 1/2 and will be a senior in high school this year . She has a part time job and we have discussed fiscal responsibility since she started the job a year ago. We are trying her to understand budgeting but it has been difficult for her to grasp the "making the money last until the next paycheck" idea. She gets paid every other week. She has a checking account. When she is 18 she is able to get a bankcard (debit card) if she chooses to. We have advised her to stay away from credit cards, just pay cash that way you live within your means.

We have been having the say no to drugs and alcohol and safe sex practices since before she became a teen.

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Yes my son will be going to college in two years. We have had discussions about money and will continue to do so . Also I help guide him along in making healthy choices now and allow him to experiment with money decisions before he is on his own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)