Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ways to Save $: Expiration Dates

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

muffinWatch out for expiration dates on perishable goods: This one seems intuitive when you read it, but I am surprised at how many people do not pay attention to expiry dates. No point getting a gallon of milk if it is going to turn sour with a couple of days. Same goes for meat, eggs, yogurt, spreads, frozen items, deli/bakery items etc. Some people say you can use a few items a few days after expiry – but I personally value my health more than money and would rather avoid buying such items in the first place.

What do you think? 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
suziejax
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I have asked people who work in food industry and they say in most cases a few days past is totally ok ( mostly depending on what it is) I havent died yet! Always smell... the Nose knows!

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM

It also can depend on what kinds of food you are buying. 

suziejax
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

yep thats why I said depending on what it is ;-) I have gotten some great deals that way before

Quoting AzariahsMother:

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM

First thing I check too! Milk is one thats expensive and sometimes expires before the exp date

ta2dirishlass
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Quoting AzariahsMother:

That and tailoring size to expiration date. Don't buy a gallon you won't use in those few days, go for half if you can't find one with a later date.

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Did you know that what people think of as the "expiration" date is usually just the sell by date? Doesn't mean that it will go bad on that day, just means the store has to get rid of it by that date.

Angelovekisses
by Anne on Sep. 15, 2011 at 3:33 AM
I always check the dates on everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)