• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ways to Save $: Bulk

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM
  • 11 Replies

No sweetpea...

Buy in bulk whenever possible: When it comes to non-perishable items, buy in bulk whenever you find something on sale. The items I usually stock up on are, cereals, tinned goods, rice, beans, pasta, coke, toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, toilet paper etc. For such items, shopping at warehouse stores like Costco, Sam’s Club etc can save you quite a bit of money, provided you stick strictly to your shopping list when you shop at these places. 

Thoughts?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

You have to be careful though. Sometimes buying things like toilet paper at Costco is actually not cheaper. You need to do the math yourself.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

We buy a lot of things at Sam's club, plus it is so much more convienent. We keep storage of paper towels, toilet paper, sodas, canned food, condiments, dried beans etc, from Sam's in our basement. Plus if zombies ever attack, we are ready to go...:)

bootifuldisastr
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Well IDK...I have found in the regular grocery stores that some of the bigger packs are actually MORE money than just buying a bunch of the smaller packs together if you know what I mean....I don't shop at those member stores though.

jerzeetomato
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM

If you're at a club store, you have to know your prices from the regular retail outlets to know if you are saving money.  If you factor in less trips to the store, that is also a savings since your're not spending as much money on gas or contributing to the wear and tear on your car. 

jen113000
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

We don't often buy things in bulk. We don't have the extra room to keep things. I do make less trips to the store by buying smarter.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM

We don't because the membership is too much for the few trips we did take. However, when we lived in Hawaii it worked so well.

ta2dirishlass
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

You definitely have to do the math, bulk isn't always cheaper and you also have to factor in storage space.

suziejax
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Exactly! I have found that out also. I have done the math and dont save on a lot of things at the clubs.... yet other items I do just depends

Quoting Bethbeth:

You have to be careful though. Sometimes buying things like toilet paper at Costco is actually not cheaper. You need to do the math yourself.

suziejax
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Exactly thats how I feel as well

Quoting ta2dirishlass:

You definitely have to do the math, bulk isn't always cheaper and you also have to factor in storage space.

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I only buy a few things in bulk. Turns out that bulk is not always the cheaper way to go. I take advantage of sales in the stores and save more money that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)