Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

You are spending money on gifts for everyone from your kids to your sisters to Miss Lilly, the older neighbor down the street who watches your house when you go away on vacation. When buying gifts, think about giving something that also does some good for someone in addition to the grateful recipient.

There are many great places like Heifer International and Global Giving where you can purchase a gift or make a donation in someone's name that can help make this world a better place--an awesome present idea that would even make Scrooge smile. There are also places that give a portion of the proceeds of their sales to do some good. For This Thursday Thrifty Throwdown, check out some of these places to do your holiday shopping and spread that holiday cheer far and wide.

Bruzwear -- Grab a few of these cool pants for new crawlers in your life or active kids that love running around. Each pair of pants comes with kneepads sewn in that buffer those little knees from bumps and thumps. Started by a mom whose child had hemophilia, a genetic condition that affects the body's ability to control blood clotting, part of every sale goes to support programs and research about hemophilia.

Giftback -- Find a present from one of the many choices on this site and then choose a charity to receive 10% of your purchase. Jewelry, gadgets, flowers, yummy baskets--all available on one site.  The recipient of your gift will not only get the present, but also be notified that a portion of the proceeds went to help a great cause.

Common Threadz -- Purchase one of these great t-shirts for everyone on your list (including kids and toddlers). Each t-shirt or onesie you buy allows a child in a developing nation to receive a school uniform or feed them for a month. Really, one shirt can let a child to attend school, get needed supplies, and make a huge difference. Pretty amazing, huh?

What are some gifts you buy that give back?

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Suzie on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I do not buy gifts for people that "give back" such as these fine organizations but I simply buy or make gifts that are afrodable. And I focus on giving gifts of money & time in different ministries that do a lot at the holidays for people instead. BUT I do love the idea  of what your saying it sounds great,,,, its just not what fits my needs at the moment in gifts or really my budget. 

suziejax
by Suzie on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM

This might be a great resource idea of gift shopping for someone ,, thank you so much for posting it for us!

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 9:15 AM
We typically only buy for the kids at Christmas but we do try to donate to worthycauses around the holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrissyT
by Tracy on Oct. 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Pretty Much what we do!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

We typically only buy for the kids at Christmas but we do try to donate to worthycauses around the holidays.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I've never really bought a gift wiith giving back in mind, but now i certainly will consider it. Thanks for the ideas.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Oct. 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM

O wow these are neat and such grt ideas. I haven't bought a gift for someone that gives back. maybe it would be a good idea tough.

amy7243
by Amy on Oct. 27, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Quoting ReesesPieces:

Same here!
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Those are great ideas,Thank you!

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

In past years we have always donated to toys for tots. 

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM

This year I don't think we will be able to donate much.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement