Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

You are spending money on gifts for everyone from your kids to your sisters to Miss Lilly, the older neighbor down the street who watches your house when you go away on vacation. When buying gifts, think about giving something that also does some good for someone in addition to the grateful recipient.

There are many great places like Heifer International and Global Giving where you can purchase a gift or make a donation in someone's name that can help make this world a better place--an awesome present idea that would even make Scrooge smile. There are also places that give a portion of the proceeds of their sales to do some good. For This Thursday Thrifty Throwdown, check out some of these places to do your holiday shopping and spread that holiday cheer far and wide.

Bruzwear -- Grab a few of these cool pants for new crawlers in your life or active kids that love running around. Each pair of pants comes with kneepads sewn in that buffer those little knees from bumps and thumps. Started by a mom whose child had hemophilia, a genetic condition that affects the body's ability to control blood clotting, part of every sale goes to support programs and research about hemophilia.

Giftback -- Find a present from one of the many choices on this site and then choose a charity to receive 10% of your purchase. Jewelry, gadgets, flowers, yummy baskets--all available on one site.  The recipient of your gift will not only get the present, but also be notified that a portion of the proceeds went to help a great cause.

Common Threadz -- Purchase one of these great t-shirts for everyone on your list (including kids and toddlers). Each t-shirt or onesie you buy allows a child in a developing nation to receive a school uniform or feed them for a month. Really, one shirt can let a child to attend school, get needed supplies, and make a huge difference. Pretty amazing, huh?

What are some gifts you buy that give back?

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM

If we do anything it will be change here and there to the bell ringers.  I mean anything helps and counts. 

Tabby57
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Thanks, great ideas!

ta2dirishlass
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I buy some items from Amnesty International and there is a little store downtown that sells fair trade items as well that I try to shop at if I'm looking for a gift.

ta2dirishlass
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Quoting AzariahsMother:

If we do anything it will be change here and there to the bell ringers.  I mean anything helps and counts. 

Oh yes, this too. 

Stevensmomma
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

we only buy for the kids and we also do toys for tots

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:46 AM

It's always nice to give back when you can. 

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:47 AM

It really sucks!  I mean I would love to do toys for tots like we always do, but the funds just are not there this year. 

Quoting ta2dirishlass:

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Oh yes, this too. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I like to do Toys 4 Tots!!!!

suziejax
by Suzie on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Instead of a gift sometimes ( such as to my Pop he doesn't want gifts would rather see ALL the money go to a ministry) I give to a mission or ministry or cuasde directly in honor of him fro example. So totally by pass getting a gift altogether and give a gift to someone in need instead. I then write hima  card telling him what I did. He is much happier with that because he has all he needs already.

suziejax
by Suzie on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM

My inlaws have a son who has Autism . They didn't want a gift but instead asked us to please give to an Autism outreach in their honor so we did . They were much happier because of it and the pressure of gift giving on both parts was over..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)