Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CMA Awards (sorry it turned a bit long)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

So tomorrow night my hubby and I are going to the CMA Awards for free.  The owner of the company he works for invited us to use 2 of the box tickets that they get.  Hubby is not the top tier of executives at the company, but he is in the 2nd tier.  We will be going with the Owner, President, COO, and CFO (and their spouses) so this is a good thing!  A very good thing professionally (and because it is going to be super fun!) so we are going.  :) 

My questions now come in the form of should I get my hair done tomorrow?   I am not wearing an evening gown but I have a really nice and dressy maternity shirt and skirt I bought for my dad's funeral about 6 weeks ago.  Would it be necessary to get my hair done?  I don't know that it would be, but I don't want to go looking like I don't care.  This is like THE event in Nashville and so I honestly have no idea how fancy to go.  I don't know if I need to bother with fancy hair or not.  Sure, it's only like $10-20 for a style (tops) and I have the blow money for it.  But what would you do? 

We have already decided to not do the after party thing for $50 a pop (because to me that's just way too much money for entertainment), so I don't know that it will even matter what my hair looks like.  I am just really self conscious about fitting in.  I feel like we are far too "lowly" to even go to stuff like this.  I know it's silly because they are just people and we're just people - all people are the same, and it's not like I'm going to be ON the red carpet.  I just never thought we'd be able to do stuff like this.  We came from $25K a year and hubby fixing Honda engines, and we scrimped and saved and worked our way through life for so many years.  We haven't even had Christmas or birthday gifts for ourselves in like ever.  We don't even go get our hair cut often, we don't have an entertainment budget because we do free stuff.  Frugal habits die hard.  I just feel like we are not even in the same realm as someone who does stuff like this normally.  We saved up for a year so that when Les Miserables came to the performing arts center we could buy tickets.  It's not like we are in the same financial boat we were before, but we are very deliberate with our money and while we do well, I still feel like we are broke most of the time - but just because we choose to live frugally and not spend money on stuff like this.

I am also afraid of getting wrapped up in stuff like this.  We don't want to put on airs - like be people we aren't.  But growing up in very meager circumstances and struggling all of my life just makes me feel like this type of thing is beyond me.  Like I'm not good enough or something.  It's the silliest thing.  We worked really really really really hard to get hubby through school, to become financially stable, to pay off debt, etc.  So we weren't just handed anything, but it's kinda surreal.  Anyway, sorry for the completely crazy tangent.  I just needed to get that out there and hopefully not come across the wrong way.  I just want to blend in and make it through tomorrow night and I don't know why but I'm wondering if getting my hair done will help me feel less like I don't belong there.  IDK.    If you made it through, bless your sweet heart for doing so!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:19 AM

How cool!!!! I'd get my hair done if it were me, how many opportunities do you get to go to the CMA's? Have fun!!!!!!

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I would agree.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

How cool!!!! I'd get my hair done if it were me, how many opportunities do you get to go to the CMA's? Have fun!!!!!!

http://raysofsunshineanp.blogspot.com/
mommyprice09
by Ashley on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I have to add, I would dress to impress the bosses with CMA's on the brain. 

I don't think you need a fancy gown, but a real nice dress.

supermeof3
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I say, if you want to get your hair done, then do it.  It's one time and if it won't hurt your financialy, then go for it!  (if it's something you want to do).  One thing that got to me though, I have to admit, is this "Like I'm not good enough or something."  You are definitely good enough :)  Don't doubt yourself.  You have worked hard and sacrified plenty to be where you are in life.   If you want your hair done, do it.  It's one night, it's not like you will be blowing that money weekly ;)   What a fun opportunity, enjoy it!!!    I will be thinking of you when I'm on the couch in my pjs watching on my old tv LOL  Enjoy it, Momma!!!!!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM

wow nice!!  I would def. do my hair if its in my budget.. but I was looking at your profile pic and your hair is really nice, so you might be able to get away with doing it yourself, if so, I would (in your place) take that money and go to lets say.. macy's or sephora and get my makeup done by a prof.  maybe buy some of the makeup used at the sitting and then do it myself at home.. just an idea.. also do you have nice shoes to go with our outfit? because thats something everybody looks at lol.. so maybe it would be a good idea to invest your "hair money" in that.

Dont feel like you are less because of your struggles.. to the contrary this makes you, in my book, more worthy of everything and anything.  Just be yourself and have fun, if you are as sweet and nice as you sound on your post, you will win everybody there.

take pics and share!!! :))

ta2dirishlass
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Quoting supermeof3:

I say, if you want to get your hair done, then do it.  It's one time and if it won't hurt your financialy, then go for it!  (if it's something you want to do).  One thing that got to me though, I have to admit, is this "Like I'm not good enough or something."  You are definitely good enough :)  Don't doubt yourself.  You have worked hard and sacrified plenty to be where you are in life.   If you want your hair done, do it.  It's one night, it's not like you will be blowing that money weekly ;)   What a fun opportunity, enjoy it!!!    I will be thinking of you when I'm on the couch in my pjs watching on my old tv LOL  Enjoy it, Momma!!!!!

Can't say it any better than this.

ReesesPieces
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Thank you gals for your sweet words.  They meant a lot because I really am struggling with how I'm feeling about this.  I know it is silly.  If I were going to be ON the red carpet, that'd be totally different, but we're going to be ushered in way before and probably not even see any stars.  Of course, you just never know I guess....but if I make it on TV, I will totally wave and say "Hi Cafemom!"  lol.  I am planning on taking pictures as much as I'm allowed.  We are having to go really early because of road closures and parking mayhem, but it will be fine.  We will be walking about half a mile (at the least) to the awards, so I am having to sport my lower heels (being preggo and all).  I do have some nice shoes that I'm wearing, but if we could get closer parking or even get a closer drop off, then I would sport my amazingly hot 3 inch heels.  :)  Ah well.....can't have it all.   My friend (who is a cosmotologist) said she'd come and help me get ready and do my makeup for me.  That was really nice of her, so I am glad that makeup is one less thing to worry about.  :)  Just wish we didn't have to get downtown so stinking early.  It's going to be a complete zoo, but it does kinda add to the excitement of the whole event.  I promise, if I make it on TV, I will wave to you gals and share any pictures I'm able to take.   But I will say, I am a bit jeallous of those watching in their PJs....so much less stressful!!!  :)  lol.

michelles
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I just have to say that I am jealous! I have lived in Nashville all y life and have never been to teh actual CMA Awards show! I have been to the rehearsals before and that is so much fun! I think that if you have the money then go ahead and get your hair done! This could be something that never happens again and you should go all out for it!

suziejax
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Congrads! It sounds like fun. I have had to go to a few things like that in my day and its all good. Have  fun with it! If you have it to spend then do your hair.

mammapav
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Congratulation have a great time!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)