Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

My daughter has Joyelle, Janae, and Sarah...her teachers whom she loves, adores and makes her smile every school day. The parents gather up money for a nice gift from the whole class, but we may want to get them a little something from our family too...something they will really like, but that doesn't cost too, too much. Sound familiar? You may have quite a few teachers (aka genius, patient mindshapers) to buy little remembrances for as well. For this Thursday Thrifty Throwdown, think outside the lunch box and beyond the "World's Greatest Teacher" mug. Try some of these cool gift ideas for under $20!

-- Survival Box. Help her survive anything. If she's a big bookworm, make a Saturday Reading Box, filled with a cute bookmark, cocoa mix, and fuzzy socks. If she loves spas, grab her some at-home spa fun like a candle, special foot-soaking bubbles, and cool nail polish.

-- Personalized stationary. This she may have a lot of, but for a reason: she uses it all of the time, for notes home and other correspondence. Check out sites like Vista Print that have really lovely choices like notepads, post-its, or folded cards you can personalize with her initial or name.

-- Box of Holidays. Replenish her classroom holiday décor with new items. Grab wall hangings and banners for all of the holidays: Valentine's Day, St. Patty's Day, Halloween, all of them! It's a gift you know she will use, yet probably doesn't buy for herself.

-- Cute jewelry. I love this one - it is from Missing Piece Studio, where they take old Scrabble tiles and decorate them and create jewelry to match any interest. From book covers to whimsical birds to music notes to funky cartoons, pick from a gazillion styles. Only $6.95 and it comes with an 18" chain.

-- Fortune keeper key chain. We all keep one or two of those fortune cookie fortunes. This key chain has a special acrylic sheet to cover that little piece of paper, yet display the prophecy for you to see.

-- Quote paperweights. Okay, these are more than $20, but I adore them. These small metal paperweights can keep her papers organized while reminding her (and her students) of some great big mantras. Choose from the five rules of happiness or an inspiration to follow those dreams.

by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 17, 2011 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids aren't in school yet, but these are wonderful ideas!!!!

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Nov. 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

my boys aren't in school yet but these are awesome ideas.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Nov. 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM

When I was in school we always bought the teacher something as well as the bus driver.

Homemade gifts are great!

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I love all those gift ideas ...  I want them all myself! LOL

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Really cute !! Ds has another year before he is in school 

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

My kids are homeschooled so we do not have to buy any teacher gifts.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM

These are some really cute gift idea's.  However, the teacher is not on our list.  I think she will just be getting a card. 

ta2dirishlass
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Those are good ideas. However, I do not give gifts to the teachers. It may be an unpopular opinion but I rarely give gifts for things that are more or less in the job discription.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM

love the first idea.. thanks.. i was racking my brains about what to give my daughter's teacher.. and that "survival kit" sounds perfect!  I will include a note stating to be used after school is over lol..

Anniebel22
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I plan on making a sugar scrub and maybe buying a candle for our daycare teacher!  Our DS just loves her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement