Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My savings tips for today...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, this time I will only post one savings tip.. because it has many other tips in it.. sort of like a tip full with little tips.. lol.. (sorry, got up this morning in a silly mood.. so bear with me)

1- VEHICLE CARE.

Most people dont realize the way they drive will make them spend more money. If you are an aggressive driver, one who is always stepping on the accelerator to get to that red light first, you might be surprised as to how much gas it takes to move those couple of thousand pounds (and if you drive a big SUV.. lord have mercy!) When you accelerate your vehicle the pistons in your motor "pull" the gasoline in creating pressure, this air and gas pressure mix eventually explodes and make the pistons move up and down, which in turn makes the vehicle move... if you are "forcing" your vehicle to do all of this in less amount of time then you are burning more gas and making you car work double.  So I have been told that when I stop at a light (or anywhere for that matter) and I am about to leave not to "step on it" as if I was a nascar racer... also find your most gas efficient speed (which is in most cases 45-60 mph) and keep that speed as steady as possible (if you have cruise control use it).

Also, there are many other things you can do to make that gallon of gas last you longer... for example:

-Dont haul stuff you dont need. the more weight you carry in your car, the heavier it gets, the harder it is for that motor to do its job.. so more gas will be needed.

-Treat your gasoline. There are several Gas Treatment or additive that can be.. well added to your tank of gasoline and make your vehicle run smother.. just remember to add it when the tank is full. (big lots has one for $1.30 and all you need is one every 4-6 months)

-Check your fluids. No not you... your car's :P  Every 2-4 months I open up that thing.. you know.. the hood!! its that front part of your vehicle that covers the engine.. just kidding girls ;) and check the oil, coolant, power steering, windshield wiper fluid, brake fluid... these are all things we (women) can do and it saves us a trip to the mechanic. If your hubby does it for you.. way to go! but if you dont have anyone to do it.. hey, get online, do a search and put your beautiful hands to work.. its no biggy, will only take you maybe an hour or so and will save you on repairs and make your vehicle last longer.

-Check your tire pressure. Another thing that needs to be done about every two months, if you keep the tire pressure at its recommended tired pressure, first go to your car and open the front driver door, there is a sign on it that tells you what is the recommended pressure (in pounds) then buy a little tire pressure gauge (they are not expensive and last a lifetime) this will tell you what pressure is in your tire and you can then set the pressure at your vehicle's recommended pressure. This is good for you because it keeps your driving safe (imagine doing 50 and getting a flat) (or getting a flat at night in a desolated area) and it also saves you money on gas because the car is running better and there is less stress on the motor.

-Make your car stealth. Aerodynamics. Every time you can, drive with the windows up. When you have the windows down, air goes into your car making the push for the motor harder, in other words your car has no "wall or air" to fight.

Well I hope this info has been of help.. until next time :)

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Thanks for the great tips!!!!

ta2dirishlass
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Good things to keep in mind. I need to check my power steering fluid very badly but it's down around the back side of the engine and very hard to get to!

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM

dh does a lot of this, im not too good with it but he babies the truck.

suziejax
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM

very cool

PrissyT
by Tracy on Nov. 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM

thanks for sharing :)

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Thanks for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)