Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday Spending: Get Organized, Save $$

Posted by   + Show Post

Did anyone get their tree up? Maybe got the ornament boxes down from the attic? Set the menorah on the table? Holiday time is in full swing, but I know more than a few of us haven't even started shopping yet...me included (I hear your gasps)! As I was thinking about all I had to do this past weekend, I realized I needed to grab a pen and paper and get organized.

As I have said, being organized is the number one way not to go overboard with spending. It is so easy to buy too much, spend too much, and waste too much time when you are rushed and stressed. I took my own advice and sat down to get organized. A half hour of getting everything on paper, making a detailed list of all I had to do and the other organizational Must Dos will let me tackle my shopping without totally busting my budget.

-- List everything...I mean, everything. Before you head out, make a detailed list. Don't just have a list of people to buy for, also include what you want to get them, where to buy it, and how much you will spend. Everyone gets a price tag, even your kids. (We'll talk tackling Santa's list next week.)

-- Arrange that list. Don't just organize it by families, but rather by store so you maximize your time. Also note what you may be ordering online.

-- Get out your calendar. Plan out when you will shop and at which stores, when you may need to do baking for a holiday party, when you need to wrap and get things to the post office. This saves not only time, but also your sanity.

-- Stay focused. If you are a wanderer, if you get swayed by all of the sales and holiday hoopla (which then may lead to overbuying), give yourself a time limit. Plan your shopping for a certain amount of time, maybe before school pickup, so you know you only have a limited time to get it done. This will keep you focused on your pre-made list and budget.

How do you stay organized during the holidays? 

by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-33):
Kainalu55
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2011 at 4:34 AM

i don't! lol

KristinRox
by Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM

I write down everything that I want to buy. I also check the flyers over and over and over.. to make sure that Im getting a good deal on what I want.

momkaribg
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Great tips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)