Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Non-Financial Habits to Start that Help the Family Piggy Bank

Posted by   + Show Post

When I write, I usually sit at my desk, but, other times, yup, I am writing while sitting cross-legged on the couch. At the end of those couch-writing days, when I go pick up Kiddo from preschool and climb the stairs in the building, I have a little tightness in my legs. Took me about two months to realize that that hamstring wonkiness didn't happen when I sat at my desk.

Isn't it kind of funny that we don't see how doing one little thing in one part of our life impacts some other thing in another part of our life? How something may not seem to have anything to do with something else, but then when you look at them more closely, you realize that they really are affecting each other?

Last week, we talked about New Year's Resolutions, improvements, changes we may be making and how to make them stick, and it got me thinking of good habits that may seem to have absolutely nothing to do with our Family Piggy Banks...but actually do.

-- Being more patient. When your kids are tugging at your sleeve, pleading for that Hello Kitty puzzle they just spotted by the checkout counter (although they have 19 at home) or when you want a new iPad/shoes/sweater/blender, being patient and waiting can really save you money. With your kids' begging, sticking to your guns, not giving into impulse buying just to appease them can really add up. Saving up to buy those other "want" purchases instead of putting them on our credit card obviously saves you from paying interest and other fees.

-- Getting more sleep. You may not realize how much being tired can affect your wallet. If you are in need of a nap at 4 pm and you just can't get that dinner started, so you crump on the couch and dial the local pizza place, that is a wasted $15. One of the main results of sleep-deprivation is forgetfulness -- not remembering something and having to go back out to the store (which costs gas money) or hitting the convenience store for milk (which costs almost double what it does at the grocery store) all can impact your Family Piggy Bank, so get those ZZZs.

-- Having the whole family drink more water. Yes, an odd one. But often, we think we are hungry when actually we are thirsty. It's a proven medical fact, folks. The next time you or your kids want a snack, try drinking some water first and waiting. Even if half of the time you don't reach for that bowl of Pirate Booty and drink water instead, you are helping your Family Piggy Bank. By not having to buy more food, especially snacks, you can really impact your precious grocery budget -- one of the main areas in your financial world you can tweak to save money.

What non-money habits do you have that affect your money habits?

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-54):
malexander2009
by Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM

We are really good at the being patient...I got this maternity sweater that I almost got when my son was just about due in 2010 and just a couple months ago it was marked down to $10! I saved almost $25 on it.

malexander2009
by Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I do get up at 6am to go shopping...less traffic just ate breakfast...and no one trying to get you to sample this or that.

Quoting Franticmommy1:

This is a great article! I would also say "Shop alone and shop with a full stomach." The shop alone part is not always possible, but I would rather get up at 6 a.m and shop alone, than to take the rugrats with.

Stress is a biggee too. Not everyone is this way, but I know when I worked at a 8-5 job I hated, I tended to eat out and shop more. It was my comfort during a time I was misrable.

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM
When I'm sleepy I don't make the best decisions either, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Wow! really good points! Being patient is an obvious one to me, but sleep deprivation and drinking enough water- I have never thought of those but they are so true!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN