Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Best Apps to Help Your Family Piggy Bank

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

Tracking your expenses on their computers. Others do it old school with a journal or a datebook. I am in the latter category, while my husband uses the computer. I am thinking of making the switch to a higher-tech way of keeping record of what I am spending: with my iPhone.

But, coming from the old days of pad and paper, I don't want anything too fancy. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I just need a simple - I mean, like my four and half year old can use it simple - app that will let me know how much I have spend this week and maybe that can categorize it.

What did I find - these two apps really seemed exactly what I am looking for:

Budget Me - This looks pretty cool. Once you enter your monthly budget, you can just type in daily expenses and it will keep track of how much you have spent, in what category and then you can see how on target you are to reach your monthly goal. Big number pad makes this one super user friendly.

My Weekly Budget - Again, the simplicity sold me. You set your weekly budget and then as you enter your expenses, you see exactly how much you have left for that week. You can also see how you spent in previous weeks, to check out any patterns for days or times you really overspend. Another cool trick on this one is you can export the data to your computer, so you can use it with other of your budgeting stuff.

Here's the dealio: I'm going to try Budget Me in February and then try My Weekly Budget in March -- and we will see which one I like better. Let me know if you are doing the same, and we can compare notes!

Do you have an app that you use to track spending or help deal with money? Share it here!

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

No, I don't.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2012 at 6:29 AM
My check book register is how I track our spending. And constantly looking at the statements online/our banks mobile app.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM

wow! thanks for these ideas. this is exactly what I was asking about the other day.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM

These sound great.I don't do apps.

GreenAndLean
by Member on Jan. 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM

These seem pretty cool seems it would help to enter in every purchase and see what happens.

Especially if you are trying to get someone to see where they are over spending.

KaylaMillar
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I dont
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngelaG2006
by Member on Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I, too, use to do a notebook to track our incoming money and used our checkbook registry to write down debits/credits to our account. We have now started using Microsoft Excel and made our own spreadsheet of everything. It is useful because once you set the formulas, all you have to do is add in your numbers and it does the math for you. Very convenient!

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM

that budget one sounds like soemting i could do. very cool

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I guess it never crossed my mind about an app

slw123
by Member on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I don't have an app.  I use paper.  I print out a budget sheet off the Dave Ramsey website to do our budget with, it covers everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement