Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: New Year, New You Challenge #6

Posted by   + Show Post

A romantic night out. A gift or two wrapped with a red bow. A dozen roses. Add up all of the traditional Valentine's Day gifts and festivities and you could spend your whole monthly budget for "fun stuff" in one day. Even if you do a basic Whitman Sampler with a few piece of folded paper from the card aisles, you are dropping at least $20. For this Thursday Thrifty Throwdown. It is New Year New You Challenge #6 - Free (or Pretty Much Free) Ways to Say I Love You.

-- Make your honey's favorite meal. Break out the china, print out a menu, light some candles. Yes, the food will cost money, but the whole evening will cost much, much less than a night out at a restaurant.

-- Just say no to cards. I love Hallmark. I come from a family of mega-card givers, but this year, why not make your own card? Grab the glitter and glue and paper from the kids craft drawer and design a one-of-a-kind note for your sweetheart. I'm sure the laughs will be followed by a few smooches.

-- Make a Business Card love note. Just the right size for his (or her) wallet, design a little bit of love to be tucked in a slot and carried around every day. Maybe with a phrase just the two of you know the meaning to or rows and rows of hearts, you can do whatever you want.

-- Create a new iPod playlist. Spend a bit of time on the computer and put together a new playlist for your special someone. Ones that have strong memories tied to them or ones that just make you think of him.

-- Paint a pet rock. Okay, so this is a little corny, but instead of buying a cute stuffed animal or some tie or something, make a pet rock. Grab one from the garden, paint it all over and put a little goofy face on there. Perfect little "I Love You" buddy to sit on a office desk or in the coin dish in the car, it is a great way to lift spirits while apart.

What is your favorite free way to say "I Love You" to your Valentine?

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (21-28):
bamababe1975
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I got one of those from my kids, too, and I agree, the big kiss and hug and "I love you" is just the best! :)

Quoting carolina_gal:

Oh and my DS gave me a big kiss and a hug yesterday. It was the best gift.

amy7243
by Amy on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

We do not do anything for each other. I wish we did but he just is not that type.   :(

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

The business card notes idea catches my attention! :)

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My husband wouldn't, except that I told him that I'd like some kind of observation of the day-  a hug, a card, a note, going out to eat.  And now he does give me a card and a rose. :)

Quoting amy7243:

We do not do anything for each other. I wish we did but he just is not that type.   :(

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

This is the best!  I have a cold, so the kiss part wasn't happening. :/

Quoting bamababe1975:

I got one of those from my kids, too, and I agree, the big kiss and hug and "I love you" is just the best! :)

Quoting carolina_gal:

Oh and my DS gave me a big kiss and a hug yesterday. It was the best gift.

goddess99
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Spending time together. But I really like the love business card idea. Might do that 1 =)

mamivon2
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I dont need Valentines day to say the I Love you

PrissyT
by Tracy on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Hmm... cute ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)