Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial Housekeeping Challenge Day 7: Sign Up for Alerts

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
  • 44 Replies

It's day 7 of the Financial Housekeeping Challenge -- you're halfway through! Go you!

Today's task is pretty simple but super helpful: set up email and/or text alerts! Most online banks allow you to set up email alerts that you'll receive when your account reaches a specific amount of your choosing, for example, $50. This is a great way to make sure you don't get overdrawn.

Do you currently utilize your bank's email and text alerts? Will you start?

Halfway through the challenge, are you feeling more organized and on track? Tell us about your progress!

sweeping If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. You can sign up for the Financial Housekeeping Challenge here.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have to worry about being overdrawn. I declined to sign up for the debit advance and so if I can't cover a transaction it is just declined. 

juicebox.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

This would be the smartest thing to do.  If you don't have the cash and need to use credit, use a credit card.  Overdraft interest rates are extrememly high, along with a service fee, so may as well just use a lower interest, no fee card.  On top of that, overdrafts generally will do nothing to boost your credit, responisble use of a card would.  Instead of using alerts to notify when your account is low, why not just take that fifty you want to save and put it in an actual savings account right off the start?  I believe that would make more sense.  Then it is somewhat hands off, you're not going to spend it accidentally, and it has a better chance of growing.  Just my thoughts on it.

Quoting acrogodess:

I don't have to worry about being overdrawn. I declined to sign up for the debit advance and so if I can't cover a transaction it is just declined. 

hfaddis
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM
we do not ovetdraw unless its for an emergency. and we check our account daily plus I keep careful tabs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scooby747
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM

been doing doing this since i opened a checking account! it is a great way to see whats going on

yourpassion
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM
I do not use a lot of features. I am to the penny with my checkbooks. If I'm off, I'll spend as much time as I need to get it right. I do this on a daily basis.

So far I do most of what has been suggested. That excites me because I feel like I'm on the right track.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:47 AM
I only get alerts when there has been a deposit. We keep our register very up to date, down to the penny. We've never had or.came close to an overdraft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by Dawn on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM
I do this with my credit cards. I check my checking account daily so I always know what is in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by Amy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I do have it set up for email alerts. I should do the text alert also. I am feeling on track. I am hoping this year is the year we become financially organized.

supermeof3
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I actually don't believe that my bank offers this.  We use a small neighborhood bank.   We primarily spend from our checking account, which we check regularly.

I am loving this challange as it is giving me time lines and direction to the things that I have been wanting to do for a while now :)

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Yes, i am feeling like i have done something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)