Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY-Crib turned desk!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

WE USED:

* baby cot with a removable drop side
* mdf/particle board cut to mattress size
* blackboard paint

Our drop side had already been removed so all I had to do was adjust the base to the highest newborn setting.

I cut two sheets of thick mdf to fit snugly into the mattress base to provide a table top. I deliberately chose thick strong board to strengthen the desk should any small people climb, sit or stand on it (inevitable in this house).
The boards were painted with blackboard paint to create a chalkboard table top.

It was then easy to use hooks and suction hooks to create storage on the cot sides. I'd love to attach some small shelves for colouring books too.

The paper storage box is made from an empty muesli box, I cut the front to make the paper accessible then primed and painted it before super gluing it to a thick piece of card for extra strength.

On the left hand side we hung Bubble's whiteboard for doing her therapy homework using 3M removable hooks. The white shelves are a spice rack bought from the local Salvo shop for $5 and repainted, this is where we will store our small craft items like glue pots and beads.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Good idea but probably not something I would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

cool idea but ds would just climb all over it

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM
That is a really cool idea. Think it would be kind of short though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammapav
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM

That is really nice !!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

cool!  thanks for sharing.

suziejax
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I have seen this before and so loved it.. its such a grand idea!!!!!!!!!!! 

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Cute
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM

And to think I JUST gave away A SOLID OAK CRIB....could so have used this idea for my 6 grandkids....you did a wonderful job...so roomy on the desk part....

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I've seen this on pinterest and love it. I'm hoping dd doesn't demolish her crib by the time she's done with it, like ds did his. I saved the metal spring board thingy from ds's crib (completely on accident lol) and I recently found a way to decorate it and use it as a memo board...but instead of a memo board I think I'm going to decorate it for ds and hang it up in his new toys room. Then I can clip artwork and birthday cards and other things for him onto there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)