Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Spring Clean Your Shopping Habits When Decorating

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

You're sitting there, watching Shark Tank or maybe Project Runway: All Stars... and all of a sudden, you realize you just don't like your living room as much as you did yesterday. And then you start to envision what you want to change, you start to linger in the paint aisles, you pick up a few magazines and tear out makeover ideas. As my father-in-law would say, you have the home décor shpilkes...you have decorator ants in your pants and want to change it up.

There is nothing wrong with that. We all need a new boost of color or a switch in scenery every once and a while. But home decorating -- from updating a kitchen to redoing a bedroom -- can quickly turn from an inexpensive idea to an overbudget nightmare. Read over this list to spring clean your decorating shopping habits!

-- When shopping for new furniture, think beyond department stores. Often, the giant stores are overpriced and are not willing to bargain with you or give you a deal. They also have higher delivery fees. If you do shop there, be sure you are getting exactly what you want when it is on sale. Try some smaller furniture stores, as well as local thrift or antique stores. You may find a great bargain on a dresser that just needs a little fresh coat of paint or new hardware.

-- If you are redoing a whole room, invest your money on the main features. Think about what you'll use the most in the room, as well as what is making the most impact -- perhaps it's the couch or the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. Remember those are the things that need to last and stand up to daily use and where you need to spend the majority of your budget to buy good, quality pieces.

-- Maximize on little things. Lighting, throw pillows, shams, side tables, area rugs, drapery. These days, you can find all of these at fantastic budget-friendly prices. With a little patience and a bit of hunting, your new décor will look like it cost much more than it actually did. Also, just changing a few of these décor things can totally revamp the look and feel of your room without having to spend mucho bucks on big items.

-- Try decorating with a theme in mind. Often, we overspend on decorating items because we aren't focused and get swayed by all of the gorgeous things out there. If you have one theme in mind, say a nautical theme or a certain color scheme, it can narrow your focus and keep you on budget.

-- When you can, reuse items you already have. Before heading out to get a new dresser or table or throw pillows, take a look at what you have. Can a DIY makeover (which is cheaper than buying a new one) do the trick? Buy some yummy fabric remnants and recover those pillows or change the legs on your table and stain it a darker shade. Redo your art: replace those prints you have had forever with jazzy wallpaper remnants or a framed love note.

-- Remember the power of paint. Just painting a room or wall in a room can make any house feel different. Some of the pros suggest when you are deciding on what color paint, scootch a shade or two darker or more intense than what you were going to -- it's an easy way to get that "wow" impact. Still not sure? Get a few samples and test them out on your walls to see what you like. 

Are you redoing a room? What have you found gets you off-budget when decorating your home?

©iStockphoto.com/ DavidmLawrence

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I want to brighten rooms in the spring.  I'll go for bright colors in pillows, throws, centerpieces, etc. and fresh spring scented candles. The biggest thing that gets me off budget is just getting carried away!  LOL

ReesesPieces
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM
We just did our boys' bedroom, the upstairs bathroom, and I am currently working on the girls' bedroom. After that it is on to the playroom. One tip I have learned is that when painting pink, go a couple of shades lighter. Not sure why but pink in mass quantities is over powering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I rent so we are not allowed to decorate much.

crazymomof4787
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

We just had the main part of our house painted professionally in the fall.  I love it.   I did go out and buy some new things also. 

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Lol thats funny.. i do have decorator ants in my pants (hope they stay there and not in my kitchen lol) This morning I woke up on a roll.. so far today I have nailed all the nails that were lose on my deck and cleaned it, put all my plants outside, took the curtains down on my back door and replaced them with blinds (less then $4 each at walmart) and i got all the paint cans left over in the garage so I can retouch the house inside (paint the doors too) and I am planning on painting the deck, just to give it a new look because it is kind of looking old... and its only 2pm!! lol :)  I stay in budget because I usually try using stuff that i have around or buy things as cheap as I can  :)

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking for a dining room set now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM

We bought a house that needs cosmetic work, so we're redoing all the rooms!  Mostly just paint and carpet, but we also took out a wall that separated the kitchen and living room.  We got the house at an auction for far less than the market value, so we feel like we can spend a bit more making it our home.  I still prefer thrift stores and Craigslist for the unusual items that can be found for bargain prices, but there might be a few things I get at "big box" stores.  Just depends on what it is.  I was in a few big box places recently and just walking in can be enough temptation to overspend, but I'm sticking to my "anti mainstream" goal so big box stores probably won't have any of that! 

Kelly913
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You've done even more than me!  We painted our new bedroom and found out that the bathroom is wall paper, not paint, so need to see if we can paint over it or if it has to come down.  Previous owner painted over it... 

Quoting yvonne37:

Lol thats funny.. i do have decorator ants in my pants (hope they stay there and not in my kitchen lol) This morning I woke up on a roll.. so far today I have nailed all the nails that were lose on my deck and cleaned it, put all my plants outside, took the curtains down on my back door and replaced them with blinds (less then $4 each at walmart) and i got all the paint cans left over in the garage so I can retouch the house inside (paint the doors too) and I am planning on painting the deck, just to give it a new look because it is kind of looking old... and its only 2pm!! lol :)  I stay in budget because I usually try using stuff that i have around or buy things as cheap as I can  :)

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You could add knick knacks and stuff like that couldn't you? 

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I rent so we are not allowed to decorate much.

Kelly913
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Maybe because it can remind of us Peptobismol?  Just kidding, but I'm glad you shared that.  One room in our home will be for foster children and we're trying to find a gender neutral color, but if it turns out to be a girl room I'd love pink.  I'll temper that after reading your advice!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

We just did our boys' bedroom, the upstairs bathroom, and I am currently working on the girls' bedroom. After that it is on to the playroom. One tip I have learned is that when painting pink, go a couple of shades lighter. Not sure why but pink in mass quantities is over powering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)