Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

True or False: Buying Leads to More Buying

Posted by   + Show Post

So, what's your guess? Does buying one thing lead you to putting another item in that cart or over your arm to carry to the register?

Maybe some of you say false, that when you need to just grab a dozen eggs, that is all you buy. You don't browse the breads, you don't wander any other aisle, you go directly to the eggs, and back to the register, pay, and leave.

That is great. And maybe that happens sometimes, but think about when you need to purchase a white button-down shirt. You head to the mall, into your favorite store, and find one or two to try on. Then you spot a cute pair of pants and throw those over your arm to see how they fit. And then you pass the piles of sweaters in new spring colors. Before you know it, you have a mound of clothes you are assessing in that horribly-lit dressing room. And you buy something other than just a white button-down shirt.

I think more times than not the answer is true. Buying leads to more buying. I know it is true for me. It is especially true when I'm shopping for Kiddo's stuff. If we just need more Play-Doh, I'll snag a few extra bits of art paper and a maze book. Or if she needs new leggings, a cute Hello Kitty t-shirt jumps out at me. Yes, buying leads to more buying.

It is one of those human nature, subconscious doofy things that happen to all of us at some point. Right, maybe not when you are shopping for a car (I hope you haven't uttered -- or heard from your partner -- "Honey, the jeep looked great, so I got it too!"), but when you pop to the mall or the grocery store for just one or two things, you end up with three or nine items in that bag.

How do we spring clean this shopping hiccup? We stop the cycle of it. Obviously, if you don't go to the store, you don't buy more than you need. But, sometimes we have to go to shopping. 

So, whenever you are out shopping, before you check out, stop. Stop and take a minute to look at what is in your hand or your cart. Is this what you came in here for? Really think about these purchases. You know you are going to get that one thing you needed...do you really need to spend money on any of the others.

The first time you do this, it may or may not work, but keep stopping yourself and thinking. Then, when you do go and put something back and decide NOT to buy that extra thing or two, it will make you feel good. Trust me. Then the next time, you stop and think and do it again, you will feel good again. This is how you stop the overbuying cycle.

What do you think -- does buying lead to more buying? Do you ever just buy the one thing you need? When do you buy more?

©iStockphoto.com/ Luso

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-65):
pfhunt
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Go shopping when you know you have a limited amount of time.  Impulse buying is more likely to happen when you can linger and look.  Make it a game to get in and out as fast as possible.  Remember, stores have experts studying people to find the best ways to trigger buying and get you to buy things you did not have any intention of buying! Bring just enough cash for what you need and leave the credit cards and ATM cards at in home!  That will also help stop you from buying more than you intended. If you really want the item you will go home to get the cards.  Most times I find that I don't want it that much!  I have been fighting this addition for a while and its hard, think of winning the battle and congratulate yourself every time you put money into savings and you beat the experts by controling you spending and beating them at their own game!

LindaClement
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I totally agree... buying leads to more buying.

Kelly913
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM

In my case I disagree about shopping with limited time.  In my mind that creates the impulse buy rather than allowing for rational thought, time to read labels and ask the questions about whether I really need this or that.  When I feel rushed I'm likely to just toss it in the cart because I have to hurry and get out. 

Quoting pfhunt:

Go shopping when you know you have a limited amount of time.  Impulse buying is more likely to happen when you can linger and look.  Make it a game to get in and out as fast as possible.  Remember, stores have experts studying people to find the best ways to trigger buying and get you to buy things you did not have any intention of buying! Bring just enough cash for what you need and leave the credit cards and ATM cards at in home!  That will also help stop you from buying more than you intended. If you really want the item you will go home to get the cards.  Most times I find that I don't want it that much!  I have been fighting this addition for a while and its hard, think of winning the battle and congratulate yourself every time you put money into savings and you beat the experts by controling you spending and beating them at their own game!

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

MsLadyBlue
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM

very true walmart gets me like that all the time and any other store lol

Angelovekisses
by Anne on Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I hate to shop so if I go in a store I have a list and stick to it. I like to be in and out. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN