Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

True or False: Buying Leads to More Buying

Posted by   + Show Post

So, what's your guess? Does buying one thing lead you to putting another item in that cart or over your arm to carry to the register?

Maybe some of you say false, that when you need to just grab a dozen eggs, that is all you buy. You don't browse the breads, you don't wander any other aisle, you go directly to the eggs, and back to the register, pay, and leave.

That is great. And maybe that happens sometimes, but think about when you need to purchase a white button-down shirt. You head to the mall, into your favorite store, and find one or two to try on. Then you spot a cute pair of pants and throw those over your arm to see how they fit. And then you pass the piles of sweaters in new spring colors. Before you know it, you have a mound of clothes you are assessing in that horribly-lit dressing room. And you buy something other than just a white button-down shirt.

I think more times than not the answer is true. Buying leads to more buying. I know it is true for me. It is especially true when I'm shopping for Kiddo's stuff. If we just need more Play-Doh, I'll snag a few extra bits of art paper and a maze book. Or if she needs new leggings, a cute Hello Kitty t-shirt jumps out at me. Yes, buying leads to more buying.

It is one of those human nature, subconscious doofy things that happen to all of us at some point. Right, maybe not when you are shopping for a car (I hope you haven't uttered -- or heard from your partner -- "Honey, the jeep looked great, so I got it too!"), but when you pop to the mall or the grocery store for just one or two things, you end up with three or nine items in that bag.

How do we spring clean this shopping hiccup? We stop the cycle of it. Obviously, if you don't go to the store, you don't buy more than you need. But, sometimes we have to go to shopping. 

So, whenever you are out shopping, before you check out, stop. Stop and take a minute to look at what is in your hand or your cart. Is this what you came in here for? Really think about these purchases. You know you are going to get that one thing you needed...do you really need to spend money on any of the others.

The first time you do this, it may or may not work, but keep stopping yourself and thinking. Then, when you do go and put something back and decide NOT to buy that extra thing or two, it will make you feel good. Trust me. Then the next time, you stop and think and do it again, you will feel good again. This is how you stop the overbuying cycle.

What do you think -- does buying lead to more buying? Do you ever just buy the one thing you need? When do you buy more?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Luso

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Greekmama21
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Random thought, my husband is a grad student in marketing. He said the average person who grocery shops spends more at Wal-Mart than elsewhere because of this. There are so many areas of the store to overspend. 

babyboy117
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

This is very true for me.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Mar. 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

true

mama.martinezz
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM

i have just began to stop, "pull over" and check my basket or hands for things I don't really need. I just started doing this recently within the last few months but honestly i have a shopping problem. i can shop and shop and shop and no matter what i go to the original store for, i always end up thinking of something i need or want. it gets so bad when i don't have a lot of money to spend that i have to go to cvs or walgreens and buy something small just to feel like i have shopped. its crazy but it gives me a great feeling. ahhh i guess im a shopaholic LOL. i mean sometimes i feel like the second i get money in my hands i need to spend it. it def burns a hole in my wallet sometimes, like its going out of style or something. in a lot of ways shopping relieves my anxiety.

mama.martinezz
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

yep thats def their ploy. as well as target. i also feel like their baskets are huge, which also makes you want to buy more. the grocery stores and general merchandise stores know how to get consumers to buy buy buy the products they carry. the brands carried in those stores spend millions every year in marketing and strategizing the best environment for selling their products. its crazy but the brands even buy "space" on store shelves. the high roller brands are the ones that have the big displays on the end caps and on the middle of the shelves at eye level so that they are the first brand you see.  

Quoting Greekmama21:

Random thought, my husband is a grad student in marketing. He said the average person who grocery shops spends more at Wal-Mart than elsewhere because of this. There are so many areas of the store to overspend. 

mami323
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I always DO THIS !! 

Greekmama21
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I never thought about the carts! Since having DD#2 I put her in her car seat in the cart. There isn't a lot of room for anything else! I don't grocery shop at Target, their prices are a bit higher on what we buy. WM advertises the savings of their customers compared to other stores though... but a typical grocery store doesn't have as much splurge on. 

Quoting mama.martinezz:

yep thats def their ploy. as well as target. i also feel like their baskets are huge, which also makes you want to buy more. the grocery stores and general merchandise stores know how to get consumers to buy buy buy the products they carry. the brands carried in those stores spend millions every year in marketing and strategizing the best environment for selling their products. its crazy but the brands even buy "space" on store shelves. the high roller brands are the ones that have the big displays on the end caps and on the middle of the shelves at eye level so that they are the first brand you see.  

Quoting Greekmama21:

EmmaGlenn20
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I definitely find that I have this problem. Making a specific list helps a lot, but I still run into things that aren't on my list and end up buying them!

mama.martinezz
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM

yeah definitely. target is a bit higher in price but i feel like walmart can be a double-edged sword because their grocery is so inexpensive but then you have the whole rest of the store taunting you LOL. next time you go shopping pay attention to the colors. the main colors that brands use to get your attention are blue, red, and gold/yellow. there is something about blue that draws people in. im telling you they are pulling a Josie and the Pussycats mind-control on us every day!  

Quoting Greekmama21:

I never thought about the carts! Since having DD#2 I put her in her car seat in the cart. There isn't a lot of room for anything else! I don't grocery shop at Target, their prices are a bit higher on what we buy. WM advertises the savings of their customers compared to other stores though... but a typical grocery store doesn't have as much splurge on. 

Quoting mama.martinezz:

Quoting Greekmama21:

Greekmama21
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I knew the colors thing (again marketing husband, lol)... Funny enough, Whole Foods 365 label has all of those colors. 

Quoting mama.martinezz:

yeah definitely. target is a bit higher in price but i feel like walmart can be a double-edged sword because their grocery is so inexpensive but then you have the whole rest of the store taunting you LOL. next time you go shopping pay attention to the colors. the main colors that brands use to get your attention are blue, red, and gold/yellow. there is something about blue that draws people in. im telling you they are pulling a Josie and the Pussycats mind-control on us every day!  

Quoting Greekmama21:

Quoting mama.martinezz:

Quoting Greekmama21:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN