Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Spring Clean Your Finances Challenge #5

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

It's the last one, my friends. This Thursday Thrifty Throwdown is Spring Clean Your Finances Challenge #5...last and final installment (aren't you curious what challenge happens in April? You'll have to check back next week...hee hee). Hopefully, these past few weeks have motivated you to get organized, start a fresh slate, re-evaluate what is working, what fits, and how it all impacts your Family Piggy Bank.

We discussed what to do with budgets, ideas on spending, old baby clothes...almost everything, but not quite. There are a few stragglers, a few last items that you may not have a clue how to reuse or donate. 

-- Cell phones. Just the other day, I found three - yup, three - in one of Kiddo's toy cubbies. She really doesn't play with them. We can't use them so what do we do? There are some great places to donate used cell phones. I am partial to giving them to battered women's shelters as well as Cell Phones for Soldiers, which refurbishes old phones and gives them to folks serving away from their families.

-- Old computers. Of course, you can give away your old computer (be sure to wipe your hard drive so no one gets any of your information), but you can actually use it around your house. Set it up in a corner of your kitchen as a virtual recipe book -- keep all of your favorite recipes on it and never spill on those pages again. Or set it up in the basement or the kid' room as a DVD viewer - end the battles over who gets the TV.

-- Old sheets. No one really buys these used. Think about donating them to a homeless shelter or reuse them around the house: think tearing them into strips to use anywhere (tying things in a garden or as fasteners during decorating at holiday time).

What random item do you have that you have no clue what to do with it? Share it here and maybe we can all help each other with ideas!

©iStockphoto.com/ ermingut 

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3isme
by Dawn on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM
We took our old cell phones to the library they have a donation box there. We also take our old eye glasses to the DMV.
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM

old TVs...what to do with them?

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

We took our old eye glasses to the DMV also!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM

great places for old things to go...

ReesesPieces
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I can't think of anything really. We've always managed to find somewhere for our unwanted stuff to go - even if it is to the dump (as was the case with the old toilet we had to replace).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM

We're pretty bad about keeping old cell phones. I know all of mine I recently pitched but I had them stuffed in a shoebox for over 2 years before I got around to tossing them lol..I don't know why I held onto them in the first place!

I'm telling ya, I've been tossing out things left and right the past few months. I never thought I'd kept so much crap but really I think I've found more cubby holes for junk than for anything else. It's crazy. I just keep thinking, one day I'll need this and won't have to spend money on it since I'm keeping it. LOL...I never need most of this junk lol.

suziejax
by Suzie on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

old cell phones 

copperswifey
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Those are some great tips. Thank you! We have a computer tower we have no idea what to do with. We also have the old cell phones that the kids played with the first day we had them shut off, but now they don't want anything to do with them anymore. Now I know what to do with them. :)

Teresa312
by Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for this! I have at least one old cell phone just sitting around that I keep meaning to do something with. Now that I have been reminded, I have to do it! :-)

goddess99
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

We have an old computer and 3 tvs ugh... And they are the big box tvs. I can't wait to get rid of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement