Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

How hard has the recession hit you?

Posted by   + Show Post

Financial Troubles in a Faltering Economy: Can You Relate to Chelsea's Story? (VIDEO) 

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier on March 22, 2012

Moms MatterAs part of our Moms Matter 2012 initiative, we're going to be introducing you to nine moms from across the nation over the next few weeks, each with a very different perspective on what it's like to live in the United States today. My hope is that you'll be able to identify with some whose lives are similar to your own -- and to learn from those whose experiences are different.

First up is Chelsea -- take a moment to watch her story after the jump. You won't believe all she's been through.

Can you relate?

Chelsea has really shaped my perspective on what it's like for American families who are suffering from the mortgage crisis right now.

I've known Chelsea for seven years now, and I can unequivocally say that she's the hardest-working mom I know. Chelsea and her husband have always had two or three jobs for as long as I've known them, and they've taken jobs that allowed them to spend as much time with their daughter as possible -- often sacrificing their sleep and comfort for her well-being.

The family scrimped and saved for years to buy their home and they bought a house that should have been manageable -- it was modest and well outside of the city. But the recession hit this family hard. Their income took a big hit, their mortgage payment and bills became unmanageable, and it has been very difficult to see their "American Dream" turn into a nightmare situation.

They tried desperately to sell their house -- and just when they had finally found a buyer, it burned down.

Chelsea is not only hardworking, but she's also incredibly generous. She attends my church and she's a regular volunteer in the nursery, out in the community, and on mission trips. Obviously, I can't say enough good things about her. And when I see the unemployment and foreclosure statistics on the news, I imagine that there are lots of families like Chelsea's behind those numbers -- families dealing with job loss and ballooning mortgage payments -- families that desperately want to work hard and survive, but can't seem to stay on their feet in this economy.

The question is -- are our politicians seeing these families' struggles? And can they relate?

What do you think? Can you identify with Chelsea's story? Do you have friends or relatives in a similar situation? What's the solution?

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Replies (31-35):
lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM

so far nobody in out family has lost their house or their jobs and my husbands work is offering overtime to them so we are still in pretty good shape. but the gas prices are killing us. and the food prices. i dont think the politicians in washington truely understand. i dont think they have to live it so they dont understand.

Diatech12
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Not yet for me and my husband BUT he has been in the army for the last 5 1/2 years. In a few months though he will be out and then we will really see how it goes. I've already moved back to our home town, have a well paying job that gets 40+ hrs a week. He is well qualified for many of the jobs in our area and already had a few applications in, and we have a savings.

My grandmother lost 2 jobs and was in unemployment for a while but finally has a job at an assisted living home. My grandpa has a shop but he is getting to old to do much work.
Other than that it hasn't quite effect my family, not that many had well paying jobs before anyway.
cjsmom1
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I can't believe your house lost so much value. I can't imagine how you felt, moving far away is always hard enough.

Quoting MommyVC:

We had to move across the country to get a new job for SO, which left the gorgeous house in Atlanta sitting empty.  The home that was bought for just under 300k five years ago is now in the short-sale process and we're praying that BoA approves it.  The kicker?  It's only worth 85k now.  So scared to buy another one after losing all value in the first.

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I hope you find a job soon. It's tough finding a job in these times but you can do it.

Quoting momto3isme:

Dh lost his job in December. We had to move to Illinois to live with my Mom
It took 13 weeks for unemployment to be approved. I have been looking and applying for jobs since we moved here. Dh has filed for disability he has 3 bulging disks in his neck and two in his back. None of the doctors here will take Medicaid to treat him so any injections we have to pay out of pocket for. We have been hit hard and are hoping I can find a job soon.

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM

It had affected me but not to the extent that is has so many others. I couldn't find a job when I was finishing my last year and a half of school. It took me 3 months just to find a minimum wage job and 6 months to find one that atleast paid $10/hour. I currently have my B.A. and don't make anything near what I would like to, I work 3 jobs just to be able to pay for everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN