Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smart Spending: Mini Beauty Splurges We Love

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to April, ladies - anyone fall victim to an April Fool Prank yesterday? It's no joke that Spring is here, and we feel like busting out with new looks, shedding wooly mittens, and perhaps changing up a hairstyle or trying a new lip color.

New wardrobe additions, new beauty buys, even new items for your kitchen can all add up to some foolish spending. But we moms deserve a little indulgence every once and a while. Making those purchases count, knowing how to splurge wisely, and treating yourself at home in Family Piggy Bank-approved ways is what April and May are all about. Sounds fun, right?  

First up, smart spending when you are getting ready for your close-up...or just Easter Sunday brunch or a trip to the playground. There are so many choices when it comes to beauty products and services -- how do you know what the better deal is? Is that budget-friendly mascara from the drugstore better than its pricier cousin from the department store beauty counter? What is a better use of your bucks: the 180-minute massage from the spa or two facials and a 30-minute massage? And can you do stuff that gives you the same results for free at home (gasp!)?

I've scooped up the scoop on some smart spending hints -- when it is a smart idea to spend a few extra dollars on your beauty buys.

Foundation -- Here's one that many of the pros agree on. Some of those at the lower-cost end of the spectrum tend to look a tad mask-like. Spending more bucks on better foundation buys you better ingredients, better color choices, and overall, a better product. This isn't always the case with make-up...tune in tomorrow for what has almost the same ingredients no matter the cost.

Tweezers -- Seriously, the unibrow only looks good on Bert from Sesame Street. But not all tweezers are made equal. The Tweezerman Slant Tweezers are a tad pricier, but they are the BEST at pulling out the craziest little eyebrow buggers. No pulling your skin by accident, no grabbing too many hairs at once, and, get this, if they ever get dull, the company will sharpen them for free...forever.

Brushes -- Lower-cost blush and drugstore eye shadow looks like the high-end kind if you apply it properly...and that means you need something other than the little brush in that plastic case. Invest in a few basic make-up brushes. Now, you don't need a $60 powder brush. Grab one from Sephora or the pros have rated Target's Sonia Kashuk brush collection at the top year-after-year.

More massages for less time -- Say you do have a certain amount of money in your budget to go to the spa. Studies have shown that you get more of an internal high from a mini massages every other week, than one long super massage. The psychological effect makes total sense, but we don't always remember this in the moment. Split splurges into smaller bits, and you will have more "happy" and probably more dollars in your wallet. Another good idea is to do some of these spa splurges at home (we tell you how on Wednesday).

What beauty products do you pay a little more for? Do you go to the spa? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ adisa 

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Mascara..always to find one that last
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erienne06
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I get my eyebrows waxed every two months.  The beauty products I spend the most on would have to be body lotions and perfume.  I also love french manicures.   I haven't had one since I've been married though so over a year. haha

ta2dirishlass
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I splurge on eyebrow waxing every once in a while. I hate, hate, hate to tweeze so it's just easier paying the $15 to have someone rip it all off at once!!!

jekrmom
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I get my eyebrows done every so often ~ and tweeze in between.  I love Bare Minerals foundation.  I hardly every where makeup anymore and really need some new ~ mine is years old!  Have tried other brands of mineral foundation, but none feel as close to nothing as Bare Minerals.  I have to have my Avon foot lotion!  And in the past few months, I splurged on Gelish nail polish and a light so I can do my own nails at home.  Paid for itself within 2-3 applications rather than going to a salon to get it done!

Another part of my "beauty" and health routine is taking my Alkalete daily ~ an all natural body alkalizer and acid neutralizer.  Helps with countless things from the inside out from energy to immune system to skin.  Love the stuff!!

missy19741974
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM

i used to get manis, pedis, full body massages until i had twins 2 yrs ago and my 4 yr old DD..now i spend every penny on my girls!  My feet have shown the neglect and I have no time to do make up!  --i'm thinking it mi ght be time

rubyredress
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM

My best makeup tip is Bare Minerals concealer powder. I brush a little on my trouble spots and do not look spackled even one little bit. Very natural looking. Makeup does enlarge pores, so I don't like to cover my face with it.

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I like getting my nails done but I know just do purdys on my nails ny myself saves money and still looks good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement