Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smart Spending: Budget Beauty Indulgences

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

I hate shopping for beauty products. I never know what the lipstick color will look like on me and you can't really "try it on." There is nothing worse than buying a face powder only to have it not work with your skin tone... or trying some anti-aging cream, just to have it sit there, used only once, taking up valuable shelf space in that medicine cabinet (this happened to me recently, as I am turning the big 4-0 at the end of this month).

Add to this adding up all of the wasted moolah, and it makes a gal just want to wear a paper bag on her face. But, that just attracts stares and odd looks. I still want to indulge, but I want to know what products I can buy at the budget price point, so my Family Piggy Bank is happy, and Mama feels a little special.

Finding those splurges to pump up my look without really splurging is the task at hand. Though these tips won't solve the "will the color look jazzy on me" dilemma, I know I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Here's the list of beauty products you can feel good about paying less for:

-- Mascara. Hands-down the best beauty product you can buy for less. Mascaras from regular brands like Mabeline repeatedly beat out designer name mascaras as the best on the market. Make-up artists swear that it is how you use the wand, not which wand you use.

-- Eye shadows and liners. Again, go down the drugstore aisle and see which ones works for you, then use the good brushes you bought to apply them or smudge them (remember yesterday's advice?) and -- poof - you look like you had a professional do your make-up.

-- Body Lotion. No need to spend extra bucks for lotion. Your basic lotion has the same ingredients as the big designer brand name ones.

-- Face cleansers. Brands like CeraVe and Cetaphil are touted by dermatologists again and again as the best way to remove dirt and make-up. No need to head to the mall: just buy them when you are buying trash bags and bananas at the supermarket or drugstore.

Share your beauty secrets -- what's your favorite low-cost beauty indulgence? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ ValentynVolkov

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

The simpler, the better IMO when it comes to body lotions.  Vitamin E or cocoa butter based creams do wonders.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

The only thing on this list I know anything about is lotion. I couldn't tell you how many different bottles of it I've got. I normally pay $1 for a big bottle of lotion. They're definitely not all the same, even if they have the same ingredients like this article says. But with coupons they're often times free! (YAY!)

Kelly913
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I don't wear makeup and make several of my own skin care items using coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax.

Kitkat1026
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I just started doing this myself.  I wash my face with honey and baking soda and use apple cider vinegar as my toner.  I love alba products they are 100% natural and are really affordable at walmart.  I have a nine year old daughter and we do spa nights at home all the time, nails and facials with fruit and things found in the kitchen.  This christmas all the women in my family and my husbands family are getting homemade lotions, and bath bars from me.  I am trying to go all natural even with my makeup.  hope to get some great ideas from this group.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I really dont have any! Love the ideas though.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM

i make my own tings and shop clearance

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Thanks for sharing ... I would have to Dave facial wash I don't spend much on and my stuff still does the job up right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erienne06
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I use biore nose strips (about $7) and clean and clear facial cleanser (about $8).  Those are my two splurges.  Other than that, I wait until I get a coupon for a $1 off or $2 off for cover girl or other brand makeup products.  Two weeks ago I bought the new scandalous mascara from Rimmel for $4.97 from Walmart since I had a coupon for $2 off from All You magazine.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Going natural!!!  You can't get any cheaper than that.  :-)

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I indulge on a good foundation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN