Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What small change has been a big money saver in your household?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 28 Replies

The post about hanging your clothes to dry got me thinking....

What change have you made in you house that actually saved you money?

How much per month does it save?

* I saved $30 per month switching to clothe napkins.   Paper towels are expensive.   I have a large supply of clothe napkins that we used for meals and dish towels that are used to dry veggies, ect.   It has added one load of laundry, but otherwise has been a saver. 

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenPebz
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM
im not sure how much its saved but i stopped my family using foil to cover leftovers and plastic baggies for their lunches. every time i went to look for a baggie to put something in there were none left so now we have sandwich containers. i want to move from those to washable lunchbags but i havent had time to break out the sewing machine lately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenPebz
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM
i detest paper towels. i bought paper napkins once for grilling out at a park and my so opened them cuz he had spilled a TABLESPOON of liquid on the counter, he grabbed 5 napkins to clean it up! i was livid, he was two feet from the sink where a washrag was sitting. its weird having to lecture the money earner about how we get along saving money by not being frivolous with napkins lol

Quoting FindersKeepers:

* I saved $30 per month switching to clothe napkins.   Paper towels are expensive.   I have a large supply of clothe napkins that we used for meals and dish towels that are used to dry veggies, ect.   It has added one load of laundry, but otherwise has been a saver. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

well.. i would have to say that my biggest change and saving thing we have done is buying groceries with coupons.  Our food expense went from $400+ a month to about $250 and i also plan meals, freeze meals and stack on sales.  Aside from that I am always keeping an eye on the electric bill, turning things off, disconnecting stuff that is not being used, etc..  our electric bill (for a house) is usually in the $90's a month, which I think is good.

RelaxedMom2-3
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Last summer I started hanging my clothes on the line. We are a family of 5 and I do 2-3 loads a day. I save anywhere from $40 -$50 a month on my utlity bill.

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Coupons, I have never been a huge clipper, bit now clip just about everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This is EXACTLY why I wanted to reduce... 1st it is a waste on the enviroment... 2nd it is a waste on our budget.

My DH was as bad as the kids.... they would use 2 paper towels for each meal + 3 to wash and eat one piece of fruit, then 1 every time they washed their hands... we were going through 1-2 rolls per day... now we go through 6-8 rolls per month. 

Quoting QueenPebz:

i detest paper towels. i bought paper napkins once for grilling out at a park and my so opened them cuz he had spilled a TABLESPOON of liquid on the counter, he grabbed 5 napkins to clean it up! i was livid, he was two feet from the sink where a washrag was sitting. its weird having to lecture the money earner about how we get along saving money by not being frivolous with napkins lol

Quoting FindersKeepers:

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Another coupon user here as well. I save at least 50% off our grocery/toiletries/paper goods/etc bill each week by using coupons. Because of coupons I can often times spend much less on things we need and apply the "extra" money towards more meats or veggies or things I don't have coupons for.

mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

2 years ago we replaced all of our windows in our house. Not for sure how much we saved.Our heating and electric bill is alot lower.So it was worth it for us.

michiganmom116
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I spent one month washing our clothes in cold water.  I also made sure to set our computers to hibernate after 5 minutes of non-use, and to shut off after 20 - 30 minutes.  I got on the kids to unplug their gaming systems at night, too, even if they were turned off.

We saved $30 that month.

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Awesome!   Every $30 counts.

I always wash clothes in cold because it reduces fading and shrinking.    I only wash towels in hot. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I spent one month washing our clothes in cold water.  I also made sure to set our computers to hibernate after 5 minutes of non-use, and to shut off after 20 - 30 minutes.  I got on the kids to unplug their gaming systems at night, too, even if they were turned off.

We saved $30 that month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)