Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

The Best Mini Indulgences For Your Kitchen

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

These next few weeks are all about indulgences, about those little things that make us smile. Some indulgences like a bubble bath or a special meal last for a short amount of time...while others, like that classic black cashmere cardigan, can be with you for decades. Items in the kitchen fall into that last category. Kitchen tools, the things we use almost every day that help us and make our lives easier  -- or harder if you don't have ones that work well. When you are looking to buy kitchen tools and gadgets, really think about them as treats for yourself and for your every day.

As you know, I'm not a great cook. I try. I'm okay at it when I do it. But I polled some mommyfriends who are kitchen-savvy, and they shared the top kitchen tools they would always spend money on. Look over the list, and then go grab the ones you don't have. Really, treat yourself to these smart buys. Your life will be that much better. Little animated bluebirds will land on your shoulder, bunnies will hop onto the counter with flowers for you...and you may find yourself humming while cooking dinner.

-- Quality pots and pans that are large enough. There is nothing worse than trying to cook your basic chicken and rice meal and have to break out two skillets to fit everything you need to cook...which means more dishes to do, which doesn't make Mama happy. The better quality means more even cooking, and they will last you for years. 

-- Mini food processor. Chopping chocolate, onions, cilantro, you name it, these little wonders save you so much time and are so easy to use. The great thing is, their small size means you can keep it out on the counter within reach.

-- Crock pot. This is my addition. It is, perhaps, one of the best items you can have in the kitchen. Finding a few weekly meals your family loves that you can do in the crock pot saves you time and money every single week. 

-- Good knives and a good knife sharpener. I knew it was time to get a knife sharpener when my dad was visiting and told me none of my knives would cut through the tomato he had there on the counter. Struggling to do the basic prep work for dinner, like cutting, well, anything, can make the end of good day turn ugly. And no one wants an ugly end to a good day. Get a few quality knives and keep them in perfect working order with a knife sharpener. 

What was the best buy you made for your kitchen?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Ugurhan

by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Cheap rubber spatulas! I am a baker, and I don't know why but the cheaper the spatula, the better it works for me. I had a pampered chef one and gave it away when I was given this crappy spatula from our old bank. It is the best spatula ever - it gets every smidge of batter out of the bowl. I also got a hot pink one at hobby lobby that I like too. Weird that out ofall the possibilities, I pick spatulas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
High end expensive products, I'd say a kitchenaid mixer. I adore mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I have a KitchenAid stand mixer that I would say is the best buy I've ever made for our kitchen, then the Revereware stainless steel copper bottomed cookware.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Definitely my crockpot!

momto3isme
by Dawn on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Coffee pot and crock pot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

has to be my pots and knife set... but I love my blender and juicer :)  I used to buy whatever kitchen tools, but my husband started investing in the good stuff and we keep it for years.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Going to sound odd but our toaster,my kids would live on toast if I let them so it by far gets the most use of everything.

lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

my crockpot

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Magic Bullet.     My blender broke so I started using the Magic Bullet and it is so much easier to use that I haven't even opened the new blender we were given for Christmas.  

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

has to be my pots and pans

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)