Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

6 Not-So-Smart Buys For Your Kitchen

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's look around our kitchen, shall we? Open those cabinets. Look on top of the fridge. Or, should we head to the garage or basement. Any of those places you may glimpse those buys you made for the kitchen, the ones that you used maybe twice since bringing them home and now they just take up shelf space...like that anti-aging face cream we discussed last week (have I mentioned I'm turning 40? Not that I'm having issues with it...).

Again, I'm not a whiz in the kitchen but I have tried -- and as a result made some not-so-smart buys for my kitchen. Sometimes Mama wants a new thing for the kitchen...but here are a few to avoid. Walk away slowly and go back to yesterday's post and get something off of that list (or wait until Thursday when I will have the number one item you need for your kitchen.)

Rice cooker -- Really, with the great 90-second bags you can put in the microwave or those easy, stove-top recipes, who needs a rice cooker?

A gazillion different types of knives -- Now, yesterday, I mentioned getting some quality ones, but I didn't say 53 of them. How many does one kitchen need? No more than five or six (I've seen some sets with up to 12 different kinds. I didn't know they made 12 different kinds!).

Gadgets that do things you can do by hand -- I'm talking egg yolk separators, garlic peelers, strawberry hullers, and those types of things. I am really not sufficient in the kitchen, and even I know how to peel a bit of garlic with a knife.

Electric Can Opener -- It takes up prime counter space and really doesn't do anything that its hand-held cousin can't.

Ice Cream Maker -- I may hear from you folks about this pick, but I never understood the attraction of making your own ice cream. There are so many fabulous store brands out there these days, made with fresh ingredients. It is one of those items you may use only three times a year. Save that money and put it toward something else for the family.

Popcorn Maker -- Another pick that you guys may disagree on, but popping a bag in the microwave (no pun intended) is so easy. The cost of valuable cabinet space to house the thing is just not worth it.

What kitchen gadget do you never really use?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Oneclearvision

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
grillmom
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The breadmaker that I got about 10 years ago started out as a great idea.  The machine itself was more of a pain to use than it would have been to make the actual loaf of bread by hand.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM
A juicer
dixiegurl223626
by Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

The iced tea maker, rotisserie chicken maker, ice cream maker

Kainalu55
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:09 AM
We use our rice cooker almost every night!
nattiesmommy234
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I have to agree with MommaBear2cubs on the rice cooker! I love mine - for a house hold of 4 people it comes in handy I generally start my rice and by the time I'm done with the main course rice is too - but Truly I still have my fondue set in the box never used only looked yvonne37 - my husband and I were married November of this last year. I had every intention of using it at our reception, but never thought about it again after purchasing. Love my hand held Kitchen Aid can opener though - call me crazy but my TJMax purchase is very easy to turn and gets most comfortable grip in my book. I've had no luck with electric can openers.

bertie4
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I love the electric can opener. But would rather throw rice in the pot, not rice cooker.

Renee47
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My deep fryer

NurseKatie84
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

i have to disagree with the can opener one too. i love mine!

thedahliascene
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

the rice cooker is actually a great buy for a busy mom. it's a sit it and forget it option, and you save money on purchasing rice, grits, or polenta. the 90minute bags are much more expensive than buying whole grain rice.

Flaca43
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I haven't really bought much that I don't need for the kitchen...I tend to go basic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement