Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #2

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, I promised back on Tuesday that I would give you the number one thing you need in your kitchen. The one thing you should treat yourself to and change your life. You thought that crock pot made cute woodland animals appear and provide a soundtrack for your dinner-making? This item will cause a rainbow to permanently arch over the doorway of your kitchen and fairies will tie your apron, people.

So what is it? Before I tell you, think, for a moment, of your utensil drawer. Picture that spice shelf. Or, take a deep breath, imagine where all of your Tupperware is. Do you wrestle with getting the drawers open and closed? Do you stand out of the way as the avalanche of plastic lids tumble out of the cupboard every time you open it?

Yes, the thing that will change your life is an organization thingamagjig (actually a few of them)! Think shelf dividers, lid separators, drawer inserts! For this, the Indulge Yourself Challenge #2, go forth and buy some helpers to keep those areas organized. This is a life-changer and Family Piggy Bank mantra -- being organized is the key to almost anything...and now, it is an indulgence you need to treat yourself to! A few of my favorites:

Madesmart Utensil Tray -- Designed specifically for those big whisks and spatulas that never seem to fit in the regular silverware tray. Ideal. A must-buy.

Tray Divider -- You can use this for baking sheets and lids and lots of things that seem to shift around when you aren't looking. 

Wall Rack -- Use that unused space in the pantry. Hang your spices, extra condiments, all of it on the door and never not know where the cloves are!

What is the place in the kitchen you need to organize? What do you need to make life easier?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Warchi

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I need to be better orginized
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sharon855
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Hi, I have a very small kitchen and things have grown as my daughter & grandson moved back home. I have a great idea though...I bought an armoire antique that had been used as shelves before and had my son put one more shelf in it and that is where all my crock-pots, set it and forget it(I think) and all those big kitchen items. It is just around the corner from the kitchen actually sets at an angle in the corner of my dining room....Love it!!!!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I have this one drawer in my kitchen.. seams like everything ends up in there lol..  but the rest I have organized with trays.  So I guess Im good :)

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM

wow really grt tips

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I'm pretty well organized.  What would make life easier for me?  A personal chef.

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I need more food storage we lack in that area
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I think I'll get an over the door rack for my pantry door, but I've also considered removing the door and hanging a curtain, so I'm still debating.  The door is very narrow, though the space inside is wider, so if I take the door off I'll also remove the part of the wall that makes the opening so small. 

Kelly913
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Do you assign Cooking Duty to your kids?  If you gave each one responsibility for preparing dinner once a week, that'd help, wouldn't it?  Maybe not at first, but is it worth trying? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm pretty well organized.  What would make life easier for me?  A personal chef.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Quoting Kelly913:

Do you assign Cooking Duty to your kids?  If you gave each one responsibility for preparing dinner once a week, that'd help, wouldn't it?  Maybe not at first, but is it worth trying? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Well, my idea of a personal chef would do all of the the meal planning, shopping, and would make meals that are edible.

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM
A wall rack I need
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN