Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

The 5 Best Ways To Treat Your Wardrobe

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

For some, it's shoes that make them drool. Others are goo-goo-eyed over handbags. Still others never met a pair of earrings they haven't liked. Shopping. We all do it, not all of us like it, and some of us love it (perhaps a little too much).

I know, I know, we've already chatted about smart ways to shop for new clothes and debated the good and bad elements of those sales racks. But, every once and a while, it isn't just about what you need, but what you want...that little indulgence, the piece of clothing to (say it with me) treat yourself.

Treats. As with everything in life (except for chocolate and snuggles from your kids), there are good treats and not-so-good treats. This is especially true for those wardrobe treats. If you are looking to snatch up an indulgence for your closet, let's keep this list handy:

-- Think of the cost per wear. You know it: if you wear jeans every day, it makes fiscal sense (and cents) to pay more for those jeans (if you want to, that is). You will get your money's worth. However, shelling out a lot for a tiny evening clutch that you may use only once a year just isn't good splurging.

-- Think quality. That trench coat you have been eyeing is a great purchase, but it is an even better purchase if it is made well, has a good lining, and so on. Don't be so quick to treat yourself that you lose sight of what is a good quality piece and what isn't.

-- Think about what you need to maximize what you have. Say you have a few cute dresses that would look uber-cute paired with some sassy knee-high boots...which, alas, are missing from your closet. Those boots would be a smart indulgence that would help boost your wardrobe's potential. Same goes for classic blazer or good pair of black heels.

-- Think about what you need, period. Do you have rainboots? Do you have a swimsuit that you like and a cover-up? How about a cozy long sweater that can act like a coat on spring mornings? Take a minute and think back to those times when you have thought, "Dang, I WISH I had a white tunic to go with these capris!" Treat yourself to that piece.

-- Think about what you have just purchased and love. Did you just get a white button-down and have found yourself wearing it almost every other day? Then go back and get another one. There is nothing wrong with getting more of one thing if you use it often and it has proven to hold up in washes and the like. That is a great treat.

What was the last wardrobe treat you bought? Why do you love it? 

©iStockphoto.com/ Mattjeacock

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

The last thing I bought for myself was a Victorias secret jersey from our thrift shop,I love it because it was brand new with tags and I paid $1 for it lol.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I bought some new bras off of Zullily, and two pairs of shoes. Love them. I got a good deal too.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM

By the way, I do think that cost per wear is very important. if you are going to buy something  you are going to wear a lot!

Wish2Be
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I dont really LOVE anything I have to be honest, but the selections for fat chicks is really minimal. At this point I just go with something work friendly and comfy.

Wish2Be
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Quoting jbyrd898:

By the way, I do think that cost per wear is very important. if you are going to buy something  you are going to wear a lot!

I generally go by cost period. I refuse to spend more than $20 per clothing item unless its a special occassion.

CafeMom Tickers
lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM
The last things I bought myself were a pair of $3.25 ballerina flats and 2 t-shirts from Target for $4.00 each. I know, I'm a big spender! LOL!
ceciliam
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I've purchased a bunch of new things. A few new dresses, a couple new pairs of shoes, a pair of gauze pants for out by the pool and a new swimsuit.

amy7243
by Amy on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I bought 3 of the same tank tops just in different colors. They were comfy if I would of found more colors I would of bought more.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I agree with these suggestions.  I can't count on an item I really like being there another time, so I sometimes get two of something if I wear it all the time and especially if it is a really good price.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Does lingerie count?  My last splurge was a black satin nightie made by Petra Fashions.  I paid less than $10 for it because it was clearanced.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN