Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

The 5 Best Ways To Treat Your Wardrobe

Posted by   + Show Post

For some, it's shoes that make them drool. Others are goo-goo-eyed over handbags. Still others never met a pair of earrings they haven't liked. Shopping. We all do it, not all of us like it, and some of us love it (perhaps a little too much).

I know, I know, we've already chatted about smart ways to shop for new clothes and debated the good and bad elements of those sales racks. But, every once and a while, it isn't just about what you need, but what you want...that little indulgence, the piece of clothing to (say it with me) treat yourself.

Treats. As with everything in life (except for chocolate and snuggles from your kids), there are good treats and not-so-good treats. This is especially true for those wardrobe treats. If you are looking to snatch up an indulgence for your closet, let's keep this list handy:

-- Think of the cost per wear. You know it: if you wear jeans every day, it makes fiscal sense (and cents) to pay more for those jeans (if you want to, that is). You will get your money's worth. However, shelling out a lot for a tiny evening clutch that you may use only once a year just isn't good splurging.

-- Think quality. That trench coat you have been eyeing is a great purchase, but it is an even better purchase if it is made well, has a good lining, and so on. Don't be so quick to treat yourself that you lose sight of what is a good quality piece and what isn't.

-- Think about what you need to maximize what you have. Say you have a few cute dresses that would look uber-cute paired with some sassy knee-high boots...which, alas, are missing from your closet. Those boots would be a smart indulgence that would help boost your wardrobe's potential. Same goes for classic blazer or good pair of black heels.

-- Think about what you need, period. Do you have rainboots? Do you have a swimsuit that you like and a cover-up? How about a cozy long sweater that can act like a coat on spring mornings? Take a minute and think back to those times when you have thought, "Dang, I WISH I had a white tunic to go with these capris!" Treat yourself to that piece.

-- Think about what you have just purchased and love. Did you just get a white button-down and have found yourself wearing it almost every other day? Then go back and get another one. There is nothing wrong with getting more of one thing if you use it often and it has proven to hold up in washes and the like. That is a great treat.

What was the last wardrobe treat you bought? Why do you love it? 

©iStockphoto.com/ Mattjeacock

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-38):
cjsmom1
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought a new pair of sneakers, my other ones were talking. I really need new everything but the money isn't there. I've thrown out most of my pants because they ripped :(

ReesesPieces
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I bought a really pretty shirt and sparkly pink necklace for my great niece's funeral. Hardly sounds like a treat, but when I wear it, I think about those 26 days that she blessed our lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I think the last item of clothing I bought was winter jammies.  I'm wearing them right now because our nights have been on the chilly side! 

leafymom
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I just went on a shopping spree!  I spent about $150 on items for all 4 of us in our household.   I was shopping at 3 different Goodwill's with a friend and purchased about 35 items.  I have a nice shortsleeve shirt that I have been wearing often and some new jeans, capris, flip-flops (new-I hate used shoes). 

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM

My last splurg was a small shopping spree to buy new bras, undies, PJs and work out pants.

Doesn't sound like much of a treat, but these items were worn out and hadn't been replace in a while.   It felt really good to replace them.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Thanks she said she will let me know once she finishes with all the other applicants.

Quoting aidansmommy219:

Best of luck to you!

Quoting momto3isme:

I bought a pair of black high heels I needed them for a job interview and if I get the job (really want it) I will need them for work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Thanks I really want and need this job.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Good luck!!!

Quoting momto3isme:

I bought a pair of black high heels I needed them for a job interview and if I get the job (really want it) I will need them for work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I have not for for myself in some time...its time to hit the stores
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement