Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Three Worst Clothing Splurges We All Make

Posted by   + Show Post

70 percent of the clothes you own should be meat and potatoes. 30 percent should be icing and fluff - that's colour, pattern, shine, accessories. Too many women get the proportions the other way round, then can't figure out why they can't get dressed. - Michael Kors

I adore Michael Kors...and totally agree with him on this. When we are out shopping for clothes, we don't want to shop for the regular stuff, the stuff we need, the "good for you" parts of the wardrobe. Nope, we get drawn to the shiny, sugary, trendy things that aren't as good for our closets, especially in large quantities.

To combat this, when we do have a chance to shop for ourselves and indulge a bit, we need to rethink it, redo what convos we have with ourselves as we are looking in that oh-so-not-flattering, three-way mirror in the dressing room.

When you find yourself talking to yourself about any of the following, a large blinking red alert should go off in your brain:

-- This would be great when I lose those five last pounds. Never buy something if you have to lose weight for it. Ever. Buy clothes for the body you have now at this very moment.

-- If I take it to the tailor, and she takes it in here and here and adjusts the straps and the sleeves, it will be perfect. Um, if you have to redesign the whole dress, it isn't the dress you should buy. Put it back. Now, of course, hemming and maybe tucking the underarm area is one thing, but five more alterations? Methinks that is a huge added cost to a dress. You can find another dress you like just as much and not have to pay extra.

-- I love this shirt. I'll just have to get a pair of pants and shoes to go with it. If an item doesn't work with with at least one or two things you already have, it isn't worth it. It will hang there in that closet totally unworn.

What hangs in your closet that you never wear? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/malerapaso 

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Stacey1081975
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM

One pair of jeans that fit perfect about two years ago when I brought them and now I can't fit them and my son's girlfriend keep asking for them. Lol. I never wore them and the sticker, tag, and label still on them. I always say I'm going to lose about 5.. ok 10 pounds so I could fit them lol lol right!!

mik1of3
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Probably a fancy little black dress.  The last time I wore it was to a funeral two years ago.  It'll stay there till the next formal event...hopefully NOT a funeral. 

abouttobeamom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I have clothes from 8yrs ago...still wearing it....eventually it will come back in style and I will be soooo ready fo that day....who needs trendy style anyway :-) lol
thanush
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM
A dress I got from Boston proper. I should have known when a $78 dress is on sale for $19, in ALL sizes, something should be wrong. Despite being perfectly fitting, It looks awful on me. I don't even remember why I didn't return it. At least it cost me just 19, not 78

There are few other ones I have donated eventually, never worn. But I usually wear and like what I buy.
Jenn8604
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM

UMMMM I dont do any of these. Time for a name change to this post!

susan115
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM

So true!!!

Precious333
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I have maybe a few items I havent warn because they were either given to me or that I boight for a wedding. I have some other clothes (most given as wel) that I had from pregnancy or the inbetweens of pregnancy. Thats always hard because I can be about 5 different sizes in a year or two!

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

i went through mine but i still have pieces i dont wear

chloesmommy777
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I do, too. :) It's economical and you can't go wrong! :)

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't do any of the 3 things listed above. I like to buy a few trend pieces but keep the rest of my wardrobe classic.

fanci64
by New Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:39 AM
Nothing, every 6-8 months my friends and I and their friends and so on have a clothes exchange. It is so awesome. We all get our clothes we haven't worn or have no use for any more. I.e. They dont fit or what have you. And we come together at someone's house. We set up like a little boutique in the house and everyone shops. If you find something you like or need you take it home with you. We usually stick with the if you bring 10 items you can take 10 items. But not always depends on how much is bright in for the days exchange. We also bring in kids clothes. And whatever is not exchanged we donate to the women's shelter or another women's and children's organization. Its fun and its like getting a new wardrobe twice a year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN