Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a) a great way to get some "new" items into your wardrobe, b) a good way to get rid of items you don't use anymore, and c) a fun way to spend time with your best gal pals? Answer: a clothes swap. With more of us watching how we spend our money, clothes swaps have become more and more popular. But, if you or your friends have never been to one, you may be a little hesitant.

I've got the lowdown on how to hold a chic clothes swap.

-- Get a good group of pals. The more, the merrier (and the more people means more clothes to choose from). Sell it as a great, fun way for all to get a refresher for those closets.

-- Set the rules. Everyone should bring at least 10 pieces of clothing, and they can be accessories too. Think jewelry you never wear, handbags, pashmina shawls and the like. Also, be really clear that all items should be of good quality, clean and in excellent condition.

-- Set the stage.  Have a covered table or put a tablecloth over your bed or couch to display items (and do it in a nice, organized way). Maybe put up a tension rod in a doorway to hang up certain pieces. 

-- When people arrive have them draw numbers, which will be the order in which they shop (this helps mitigate any arguments if two ladies want that same cute bangle).

-- Serve wine and put out some munchies and appetizers so you can all chat and hangout as you swap-shop.

-- Get some nice shopping bags from the dollar store to put the items they "buy" in; it is that little touch to make them feel like they went shopping.

-- Be sure you take any leftover items to a woman's shelter or the church.

Have you ever held a clothes swap? What would you bring to one if you were invited?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Izusek

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Stevensmomma
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I need friends my same size for thus to work. Hmmmmm....

Same here !

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

very cool tfs

Kimone
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I didn't realize that such a group exists! This is awesome!

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I need to do this its such a good idea... But u have to have those who r in same size ofc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM
I have never
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I've never done one of these. I prefer to donate or sell.

Rushn311
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM

No never did that and wouldn't.

Rushn311
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Me too!

Quoting ceciliam:

I've never done one of these. I prefer to donate or sell.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I've never held one, my clothes are usually worn down by the time I don't want them anymore lol.

This is me too. I wear my clothes until they are so bad that I use them for rags. I don't have anything to wear let alone swap. Lol
amy7243
by Amy on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I have never went to one. I think I would like it. I have tons of jeans I could take.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)