Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #3

Posted by   + Show Post

Ah, it is Thursday again...how I love Thursdays! Time for Indulge Yourself Challenge #3. Can you guess what it is? We've been talking about clothes all week. Sadly, I can't tell you all to go and buy that $150 cashmere sweater, but what I can do is suggest something that will help you decide what to splurge on: advice from the professionals, the people who, as part of their daily work, tell people what to wear and what not to wear.

A few years ago, I wrote an article on getting my closet made over by some professional restylists (I adore my FairyGodModels Beckie and Martina!) and I have to tell you, their professional, trained eyes saw my clothes and me in a specific way, a way I never would have been able to do on my own. It was invaluable...and we can all treat ourselves to that via some great books on building that wardrobe and finding your style.

So for this Indulge Yourself Challenge #3, I have some awesome reads that you should go get and treat yourself to a makeover!

Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style) by Tim Gunn. I've mentioned many times my love for Tim Gunn. Mentor from Project Runway and all around fashion genius. Not only does he give hints on how to "make it work" with clothes you have, he offers amazing insight into how to examine your life and your body to achieve your ideal look.

Dress Your Best: The Complete Guide to Finding the Style That's Right for Your Body by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London. Yes, the guy-gal duo from TLC's What Not To Wear give their advice on everything fashion-y. Practical know-how you can apply to your body, how to embrace your flaws (we all have them!), and what to remember when you are shopping are in this fabulous book.   

The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece by Andrea Linett and Kim France. From the gurus that give us all ideas every month in Lucky Magazine, this guide breaks down specifics of the classic must-haves for your wardrobe (for every budget) and how to get double-duty use of items you already may own. 

Do you read fashion books? How about fashion magazines? Tell us your favorite makeover shows!

©iStockphoto.com/ coverdale84

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
slw123
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I do not read about fashion. I used to like to watch What Not To Wear.

ReesesPieces
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Same here.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No.  My lifestyle doesn't require a lot of the latest fashion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I would love to be into fashion but just never have the time or money...maybe some day...
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Quoting slw123:

I do not read about fashion. I used to like to watch What Not To Wear.

Love that show!
Samanthamommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I love project runway

Samanthamommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I used to watch What Not to Wear a lot

Samanthamommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I watched Americas Next Top model when I was younger- not sure if it's still on.

Samanthamommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Fashion police.

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I read In style magazine. They have some pretty cool stuff in there

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Great ideas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN