Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I adore home makeover shows. The before and after pictures, the purging of old and welcoming of the new. What I have found in each show? Our feelings totally influence our home stuff -- what we choose to put in our bedroom, form the color choice to that little pillow that sits in that just-right-spot in the middle -- we picked it for some reason, probably having nothing to do with home décor sense.

That is especially the case when we make little indulgences for our home, when we treat ourselves to a little or big home makeover. When we splurge on items for our houses, it makes us feel good. Just like when we are pregnant and get that nesting instinct, it is all tied together -- the home stuff and us. So, when we do have the opportunity to treat our homes (and thereby ourselves) to some sprucing up, what are some smart ways to go about it? Here are a few ideas I had:

-- A good duvet and pillows. If you invest in a good duvet or comforter, one that you like and that keeps you cozy and snuggly, it is a great foundation for the bedroom. With so many duvet covers and shams out there, it is simple to change up the décor any time you want without spending a ton on new comforter.

-- Double-duty furniture. Since I live in a cozy one-bedroom apartment, I'm a firm believer that everything needs to serve at least two (if not eight) purposes. Whether it is a couch long enough for Meemaw to sleep on when she comes or items that can store or be used in many different capacities is always a smart buy. My favorite pick: storage ottomans. At the foot of the bed or as a coffee table, they can stash toys, magazines or extra bedding.

-- Matching picture frames. I love this idea as a way to decorate a hallway or living room. When you buy matching frames at different sizes for different types of photos, you get a great bang for your buck as you can easily switch out those photos, insert groovy wallpaper and -- voila -- you have a whole new look. The key is the matching frames.

-- Expandable tables. Again, this is kind of a cousin to the double-duty mantra. If you are looking for a kitchen or dining table, get one that can work for everyday as well as on Thanksgiving when all of your cousins on your dad's side come over.

-- Art/coffee table books. This may seem odd, but not only are these cool books that add pops of color, they also can be useful. Stacking them in various heights and pacing a picture frame on top automatically gives that area visual interest. They are the perfect prop to fill any void.

What is your best home decor indulgence?

©iStockphoto.com/DNY59

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
ceciliam
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I love storage ottomans....They are great for keeping my sons toys neat.

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM

frames are a big one here.. i have matching ones on the walls for single/family pics.. then matching ones on the tv stand for family members.

also a corner hutch in the dining/kitchen area to hold extra bowls.. 

baskets by the entry way to corral shoes.

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:40 AM

also those faux wood blinds.. they look nice in every room..  although i do hate cleaning them.  lol

goddess99
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I love color and I use design ideas from nice hotels we've stayed at. I have alot of pieces that pull double duty, even triple duty. I love home decor.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Color on the walls and lots of blankets

amy7243
by Amy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Mine is a pair of chairs that came out of my mil basement....I love them!!!

starreyedcutie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM
I love taking my own photos to decorate my home :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I'm not sure what mine are, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)