Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What Would You Buy: E-Readers, iPads and Phones

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

I'm actually writing this on a new laptop. It's an early birthday present from my husband and family (yup, turning the big 4-0 next week...have I mentioned that lately?). It's a big deal: I needed it (it is much lighter than my old one) and, yes, let's just say I'm not that tech savvy. Setting it up, getting all of my icons the way I like them, and so on is a big deal.

When it comes to electronics and gadgets, we all have our preferences (that is why they call it that on the actual little gizmos). Sometimes these things are a necessity, as we may need them for our jobs, but other times, it is a treat. So, when picking out those phones, computers, tablets, and e-readers, what should you keep in mind as you give yourself a little electronic indulgence?

Tablets: When it comes to tablets, like iPads or Kindle Fires, you really need to look at how you are going to use it (and who else will be using it). If you are going to surf the web, play Words with Friends, and have your kids play some cool educational games on there, the iPad is the way to go. If you are interested in mainly reading, want a more portable way to dive into your books and if you want to spend less money, then head to the Kindle store at Amazon.

Phones: Do you really need a phone that you can send emails on and an unlimited texting plan? Think about it. This is a great way to save money of you don't need to do all of that. However, If you do text with your husband a lot or if you are class mom and send a buttload of emails and need to be in touch more than regular calling, then that iPhone or Droid is the choice for you. Think how that bit of indulgence will make your life easier.

Do you have a Kindle or an iPad? Why do you like it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ hocus-focus

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I have a kindle fire. I surf the web, play words with friends and read books on it. For $199 it does just about everything the ipad does except it has no camera and I don't have to have a data plan through at&t to use it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM

You left out the Nook series.  I chose the Nook Color so I could access all the .PDF eBooks I have on my laptop that I'd never read from here.  I can also let my son play games and it has "read to me" book options for kids.  I use it to hold my recipes rather than print what I find online to take to the kitchen.  The Nook also has access to over 6 million titles and the Kindle less than 1 million.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I have a kindle and i love it...  I would have love a pad but I have a lap top (thats my baby lol) so kindle is more for reading at night laying down or when waiting.. you know.. its small and i can put it in my purse.

ReesesPieces
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM
We got a free kindle fire from a local bank. We both have iPhones - hubby's is from work and I use mine constantly. With the work I do for our church I send a lot of emails, texts, and make a lot of calls. Plus I'm never without Cafemom! ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I don't have any of these things and I don't miss it. 

VioletPlacebo
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I have a NookColor and LOVE it! We use it for checking email, facebook, reading, playing games, etc.  We use it daily and while we could live without it obviously I don't want to. We're homeschoolers and there are LOTS of learning apps for kids on there. It was definitely worth the money.

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I really really want a Kindle Fire, hopefully the money will be there one day.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I don't have any of these. I'm not a touch screen fan.

Stevensmomma
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM

No i dont have any of them

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Love the kindle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN