Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Great DIY Indulgences To Make You Happy

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm a little crafty. I think if I had more time, I could be really crafty. Not to Martha Stewart levels, but definitely crafty. The thing that makes me happy when I'm crafty is I just lose myself in creating something. When you knit a scarf or print out an awesome quote and put it in a frame by your desk or, heck, spend a little extra time wrapping that birthday present to make it just so, you tap into a different part of your brain than you usually use. And you find yourself smiling.

This, my friends, is a treat. That fun sense of creation and accomplishment is a huge -- and often -- not-so-expensive treat. Just looking around my apartment (and some awesome DIY websites), I came up with a few thigns to do that would be a super-cool indulgence.

-- Redo your desk.  Sure, I am writer who, well, writes at a desk (when not at Starbucks), but we all have a desk area somewhere. Make doing bills or meeting deadlines or organizing your to-do list more enjoyable by redoing your desk. Paint it your favorite color, add a trim, make it something special.

-- Redo your bedroom. If you can sew, get that sewing machine and make a duvet cover with some softer-than-soft fabric in a new color. Make some pillow covers that pop. Surprise your kiddo with an all new blanket with her favorite character on it.

-- Make some cool magnets. I love this idea. Grab an old Scrabble game and a few small magnets and glue and voila - an awesome new way to hang up that artwork on the fridge. This is also a cool DIY gift for teachers.

-- Paint a wall a new accent color. This is fun way to redo a room that doesn't cost a lot and can be fun. Looking for the right hue, getting a little messy, all of it is a fun indulgence for that part of your creative brain.

-- Make time for yourself. A treat that is totally free. And it is a DIY, because, well, you have to do this yourself. No one else will do it. Carve out a bit of time each day to relax, breath deeply, enjoy Words with Friends or a new book...or just do nothing. The best treat for you is you.

Does being crafty make you happy? How do you carve out time for yourself?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kelly913
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Right now being crafty involves work.  Although I'm using a very narrow definition of crafty.  I have been repurposing/refinishing and finding unique uses for furniture since we moved. 

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM

I wouldnt consider myself crafty, but I can get into certain things. I really like the idea of doing an accent wall. It would look great in my living room.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:43 AM
I'd love a house but right now all I can afford is an apartment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I am on a break from crafts right now, but in the past I have done needlework as well as basket making.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I love being crafty when I have the money to get stuff to be crafty with.  I have time to myself all day while the kids and hubby are at school and work, I hate having me time because I miss them.

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM

My son likes to make magnets for the refrigerator, so those are great. I'm not really crafty, but I may try soon

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I would love to craft but I am not crafty lol.

ceciliam
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Crafting makes me very happy:)

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

being crafty nowadays kinda annoys me..lol  i love looking for new projects, but to actually get to it and enjoy it without being interrupted, is a no go..

my kiddos love doing crafts , so they will do some for friends and such.

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM

i love that scrabble idea.. i'd have to find one at a yard sale or something..lol  we still play ours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement