Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

7 Treats To Find At The Grocery Store

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay, so your family needs to eat. Which means you have to go grocery shopping. Perhaps one of the most boring tasks a mom can do. But wait! It doesn't have to be...it could be a lovely haven of mini-indulgences, little treats you can snag for yourself as you are also grabbing canned beans and paper towels. What I have learned thus far in my new decade is that it is all how you look at it, my friends.

The next time you make a trip to the grocery store, look out for some of these items and give yourself a little treat.

-- A food from your childhood. Did you love lemon cookies? How about Eskimo pies? Why not grab an old favorite and relive a bit of your childhood. Share a memory of eating these with your kids.   

-- Mini champagne bottles. Many grocery stores sell wine and beer. Look for some of those little champagne bottles and get them to have on hand to celebrate a good day...or just the fact that it is Wednesday.

-- Snack-size candy bars. We never buy them except at Halloween, and I am constantly wondering why, The perfect size to treat yourself to some yumminess, ideal to pop into your mouth without totally eating a whole candy bar.

-- Precut fruit to take in when it is your morning to bring the classroom snack. They did the work for you, isn't that nice? All you have to do is remember to bring it in...serious treat for all moms.

-- Flowers. Why not grab a bunch and spruce up the dinner table or your bathroom?

-- Magazines. I know, we all check them out when we are waiting in line to check out. The food ones, the gossip ones, the style ones. Grab one and peruse it while you hang out as Kiddo does karate.

--Those little horoscope books. Again, right by the checkout, for $1.99 you can have a little bit of fun with the predictions for the year.

What is a childhood treat you haven't had in a while? What is your latest indulgence or new find you snagged at the store? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Neustockimages

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elizabooks
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I bought a 1.99 bottle of bubbles last week and when I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on Monday I took it out, rolled down my window and had fun.

As for food, I went wild bought some munster cheese, sourdough, prunes and bakers chocolate and had a grilled cheese sandwich just like my grandma would make.

cjsmom1
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Once in a while I'll treat myself to a gossip magazine. I'm always buying little snacks to keep in the house, between ds, his friends, and everyone else who ends up at my house I always like to have things available.

My treat lately has been fresh fruits and veggies. I say treat because they're normally really expensive. I try to get them on sale (like BOGO free),

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

None of the things listed appeal to me, not even as an indulgence.

A treat from my childhood would be something like an ice cream cone...or the huge smile cookies the old town bakery would sell. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 2, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I used to love Mike and Ikes.I haven't treated myself to anything lately if I did it would probobaly be some nutella.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

My latest indulgence and childhood treat was snowballs-   chocolate cake with "cream" filling and marshmallow and coconut on the outside.

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I like the snack sized candy bar idea and I keep eying the daffodils when I go into Safeway. I should buy some!

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I just bought 4 little bottles of wine!
Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Speaking of ice cream cones. When I used to stay with my grandmothers during the summer, I could walk a half block to a service station that had a freezer with treats in it, and I used my allowance to buy a drumstick cone, they still have these in the grocery store. About once a year I get one.

Quoting michiganmom116:

A treat from my childhood would be something like an ice cream cone...or the huge smile cookies the old town bakery would sell. 

yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I had one of these :))     and couldnt stop talking about how when I was a little girl and went to the stores with my mother she had to get me one, just because i loved the price in them lol not so much for the popcorn lol..

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

How ironic!  I didn't get the ice cream or smile cookies unless I was staying with MY grandma, and she lived just 3 blocks from the ice cream shop and the bakery!

Quoting Bmat:

Speaking of ice cream cones. When I used to stay with my grandmothers during the summer, I could walk a half block to a service station that had a freezer with treats in it, and I used my allowance to buy a drumstick cone, they still have these in the grocery store. About once a year I get one.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)