Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Solar Panels

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

My hubby mentioned he read the price of solar panels is going down because of new technology. Do any of you have solar panels? would you consider getting them?

baby
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muisjes
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM
We have solar panels and it was a great investment. We have nine years of warranty left and in four years from now we will have retured the inestment. From then onwards t is pure profit. However, make sure a qualified company installs them!
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Quoting muisjes:

We have solar panels and it was a great investment. We have nine years of warranty left and in four years from now we will have retured the inestment. From then onwards t is pure profit. However, make sure a qualified company installs them!

How long have you had them?

baby
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

We don't have them in our home, but we rent. If we owned our home I'd definitely consider them.

PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM
We don't have them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrissyT
by Tracy on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Would consider but we rent so..no way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:49 AM

DH's parents have them.  They have a passive function of heating the attic, which then drifts down (and I've never heard of warm air drifting DOWN) to help heat the house.

If I get them (and I'd LOVE to have a solar powerhouse unit) I'd want photovoltaic cells so that I could get electricity, too. 

Stevensmomma
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM

They are a lot more than people think are in my area any way you have to pay to keep it maintained and repairs etc it costs my neighbor more for those services than it saves her.

Kelly913
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM

We rented a passive solar house for a year.  It was an "envelope house" in that it was like a house within a house.  Somehow, a draft is created that causes the warm air from the basement (sun heats concrete pads thru 20 ft tall windows on the south side of house) to rise up the north side, supposedly warming as it goes.  In summer, the sun hits the windows differently and the basement is cool and the warm air in the attic is replaced with the cool air from the basement.  It was an interesting concept that IMO wasn't played out well.  We had 3200 sq ft of living space and always felt cramped because of the layout.  It was kinda weird! 

Quoting michiganmom116:

DH's parents have them.  They have a passive function of heating the attic, which then drifts down (and I've never heard of warm air drifting DOWN) to help heat the house.

If I get them (and I'd LOVE to have a solar powerhouse unit) I'd want photovoltaic cells so that I could get electricity, too. 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM

We've considered it.  We live in the SW and have more days of sunlight than any other area, so it should be a great option, but whenever we've checked, the cost outweighs the savings.  I guess we don't use enough electricity to make it worth the investment! 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM

We don't have them,if we owned we would consider them though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement