Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Rain Barrels?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone use rain barrels? I have been reading a lot about them and even found a tutorial on making your own for $20. Do you ladies find them useful? Have you ever used one? Would you ever?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I don't because we usually don't have a drought problem, although it would save us a little bit in watering the garden.

Stevensmomma
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

i dont havve one but they look like they would help save on watering things outside 

yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

When we moved to Dominican Republic my stepfather built us a house and he added barrels to all the spouts, we used that water to drink (boiled it first of course) because the pipe water out there is terrible..  when raining I remember my brother and I would put on our bathing suits and go running out in the rain, it was so much fun and refreshing.  Here i have thought of setting a couple and use the water to water my plants and now the garden I am starting, I wouldn't use the water for anything else because of the pollution in the air, now if I would live out in the country I think i would use the water for other things too.. I think its a good idea :)

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

no

jbyrd898
by Jessica on May. 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM

no, but grandparents always had them. it certainly was good for watering the flowers.

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM
We don't have one.
Kelly913
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I had them when I lived in Phoenix.  You'd think it'd be a wonderful thing living in a desert that gets less than 13" of rain a year, but that low figure made them nearly unused!

If you can do it for $20 I sure would!  You can water plants/garden/lawn with them.

Another water saver is to keep a bucket in your shower to catch to cold water while waiting for the hot water to get there. 

Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on May. 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I don't have one I think they are a really good idea I know for wateringthe garden & such it would help just don't think I could get hubby on board to do that.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

i dont have them but heard they work

ReesesPieces
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM
I don't have any or a use for them, but when we garden again, we might look into it. We get a lot of rain here anyway though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)