Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Three Chic DIY Mother’s Day Gifts

Posted by   + Show Post

So, yes, all this week, we have ways to treat moms, mothers, mommies, mamas...you get the idea. Maybe you will use some of these to treat those women in your life. Or you will forward this onto those in charge of making your day special. Or you will print it out and post it on the bathroom mirror with a large red arrow pointing to the one you want.

Regardless, there is just something about a homemade gift. Like the snuggles on the couch after a long day, presents from little ones that they make (perhaps with adult supervision) make us feel all warm and gooey inside. And according to my mom, that doesn't stop when the kids have their own kids. I found a few great ideas that don't involve glitter or turning on the stove.

Cool Doorstop - This is a neat one from Amazing Moms and is especially perfect for those of you with screened doors that may keep on propped open. So easy for the kids to make with Dad. You just grab a coffee can, paint it or decorate the outside (and the lid) with fabric and glue that matches the décor of the room. Then fill it with sand and put the lid on - voila! - lovely doorstop for Mom. 

Chic Paper Flowers - Forget the large felt or cardboard flowers. Check out these gorgeous paper blossoms from Family Fun. Grab a slim branch from the yard, some tissue paper and glue. Cut the tissue paper into little squares and triangles, fold them just so and glue them on wherever it looks snazzy. Seriously a cool, elegant keepsake.

A Bowl of Fortunes - I love this one from the folks at Kaboose. Creating your own felt fortune cookies with personalized well wishes would make any mom smile. Tan felt, a glue gun and little bits of paper with the fortunes on them are all you need. Again, a neat way to get the kids involved with the project - they can cut the circles of the felt as well as write messages of love to Mom. Make a bunch and put them in a bowl or cardboard takeout box. 

What homemade gifts do you get? Will you try these?

©iStockphoto.com/ Hidesy

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-36):
Wish2Be
A mommy to the best little boy in the world !
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM

The bowl of fortunes reminds me of something my mom did for her mother. She did a bowl full of memories.

I dont know if she did one memory for every year or if it was for every month....but she made little scrolls that had ties on them...and each scroll had a memory about her and my moms youth.

I think I will do something like this for her next year !

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Those are amazing ideas! I'm not too crafty but I like to bake though.

kmom29
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My little ones gave me the cutest mother's day coloring pictures  from http://www.thecolor.com/Category/Coloring/Mothers%20Day.aspx?holiday

PrissyT
by Tracy on May. 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM
I live this it gave me a idea lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrissyT
by Tracy on May. 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Love*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Those sound lovely

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)